Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
or are they all the same? is there a cooling problem with them?
I hear the 98 has a different fule system?

BTW I am planning on a vortech

Thanks
--Brian

·
Registered
157 Posts
They're all pretty much the same. The 96s had a cooling problem, many of which got fixed by the dealer under warranty. The 98s don't have a seperate clock on the dash... the radio is the clock. The 98s seems a tad stronger by some reports... a different ECU? The 98s have wheels that look kinda like the 95 Cobra R wheels... same size as the 96 & 97s though, 17x8. Each year had some different colors available... Mystic in 96, Pacific Green in 97, Atlantic Blue & Yellow in 98. That's all I can think of.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok so this is kinda stupid ...but the 96 and 97 have the clock on the dash and the 98 doesnt?

you know that clock adds like 5 hp. :D

no, I do like it though.

--Brian

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Well, IMHO, I'd get the cleanest one you come across with the least miles on it..... (just a personal preference). Newer might be nicer, but that's not always the case, FWIW......

·
Registered
157 Posts
I thought of a few more small things...

In mid 1997, Tremec started producing the T45 transmission, instead of Borg Warner. Not sure if that was any major improvement or not...

Also, there was a change made in mid 1997 to the IMRC (secondary throttle plates). They went to a different material... plastic to aluminum, or vice versa. Not sure what that means to the driver, though.

If I were buying a used 96->98 Cobra, I would look at the maintenance records and have the car throughly checked for abuse/abnormal wear. I wouldn't worry too much about the year. My 97 has 65,000 miles on it, has seen some open track events, and runs just like a brand new car (well... a little stiffer suspension, but you know what I mean). No oil consumption, no leaks, no squeaks, clutch & (Tremec-made) gearbox are perfect.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Obviously you will want to go with the best car you can find in your price range...however, should you wind up with a 98, I believe you will find tuners can do more with it's computer. I know that's what my tuner said, and I notice a lot of 96-97 Cobra owners, that are adding blowers, upgrade to the 98 computers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts