Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I have my 3G alternator and Taylor battery relocation kit installed, I need a new battery. I had an Optima yellow top but since my alt was hooked up incorrectly, I killed it. I would rather not spend that kind of money twice, but I realize I may have to.

Any opinions out there regarding the best battery around and where to get them the cheapest?

THANKS!

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
mcqueen said:
...I had an Optima yellow top but since my alt was hooked up incorrectly, I killed it...
Please explain. It's almost impossible to "kill" a yellow top. The yellow tops are deep discharge batteries, which are able to be fully discharged and fully recharged. You just might need a very good battery charger to bring it back.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have drained it and jumped it many times over (the car wasn't driven much over the last two years) while I tried to figure out my charging problems. I had a Saturn Tech friend of mine take it to work and trickle charge it on their prof charger. I brought it home, waited two days to install it and it is dead. I can't even jump the car with that battery in it. I am going to call the dealer and see if they will replace it.

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
Their "professional charger" may not be capable of charging an AGM type battery, especially one as dead as yours. I've brought back a few "dead" ones with my charger, but it ain't cheap ($190, for a Xantrex Truecharge 10A).

BTW, there are 3 types of batteries: flooded, gel, and AGM (absorbed glass matt). Try for the dealer replacement.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmm- $190 doesn't seem so bad considering the battery itself was $140! I will ship it out to ya! Haha.

The dealer won't replace it- they said to call Interstate (Optima's parent company).

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
AutoZone sells Optima batteries now. Take it over there and have them test it / charge it. Maybe they will hook you up with a new one.

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
mcqueen said:
Hmmm- $190 doesn't seem so bad considering the battery itself was $140! I will ship it out to ya! Haha.

The dealer won't replace it- they said to call Interstate (Optima's parent company).
Your dealer is whacked! Optima's parent company is Johnson Controls.

AutoZone, PepBoys, Sears; everybody sells them now.

If you're going to deep cycle a lot (I have a marine Optima for my electric trolling motor), you will need a good charger if you want the battery to last.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts