Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after much deliberation i`ve decided my first order of buisness over the winter is to swap out my t5 which i love by the way for a built aod. It has a manual valvebody trans brake and 4r internals. So heres the issue i want a shifter that will be awesome at the track and friendly on the street. I already know i will not be using b and m anything im leaning twards a quater stick and id like to try and stay in the stock shifter location if possible. Any help pics opinions welcome.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it!

·
Registered
864 Posts
for those of you running the shifter in the stock location, how do you reach it? im only 5'10" and there is no way i could reach my shifter if it was in the stock location. i mounted mine in the ash tray location

any reason you dont want to run a b&m? my pro stick has been beaten to death over the last few years and ive never had an issue

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just heard bad things nothing in particular though. Plus i ve used the quarter stick in the past and liked it. I havent really hadbut one other auto always had a stick so now im going for a more strip oriented combo and i want better consistancy. Thanks again guys your input has really helped.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also lucky im 6' 4" so with the seat all the way back i still have the reachto touch the windsheild.

·
4,309 Posts
Out of curiosity why not just a factory shifter? When I had a C6 I modified the cable on a factory shifter to work with it. I like having that more factory look and had no issues racing or driving it. I went the direction because I knew three other people who did the same on their almost exclusive track use cars. Only reason I bring it up is because you mentioned stock location for the shifter.

Sent from my iPad Nano

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ive been kicking that idea around for a couple days now. I have a stock shifter in my toolbox at work ive been playing with the gate notches.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Out of curiosity why not just a factory shifter? When I had a C6 I modified the cable on a factory shifter to work with it. I like having that more factory look and had no issues racing or driving it. I went the direction because I knew three other people who did the same on their almost exclusive track use cars. Only reason I bring it up is because you mentioned stock location for the shifter.

Sent from my iPad Nano
x2, i use a stock shifter with my fmv c4 and couldnt be happier.

·
Premium Member
3,381 Posts
for those of you running the shifter in the stock location, how do you reach it? im only 5'10" and there is no way i could reach my shifter if it was in the stock location. i mounted mine in the ash tray location

any reason you dont want to run a b&m? my pro stick has been beaten to death over the last few years and ive never had an issue
You have any pictures of your install? Specifically how you mounted it? I'm about to put the same shifter in, so any info would be great. Thanks!!

·
Registered
5,219 Posts
I just ordered a Hurst quarter stick pistol grip. I'm going to do this:

Also looks good with a boot...

·
Premium Member
3,381 Posts
yeah I'm going to do something along those lines too. The guy I got my transmission from tossed the B&M Pro Stick in with the transmission since he wasnt going to need it.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts

Sent from my iPad Nano
could you give some insite on how you modified the stock shifter?

·
4,309 Posts
could you give some insite on how you modified the stock shifter?
That was 15+ years ago and I honestly do not remember at this point. I do not recall having to modify the shifter any at all but the cable is what needed something done to it. From what I remember it specifically dealt with where the cable hooks up to the transmission.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts