Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '97 convertible GT. Where is the best place to get a power wire from the battery through the firewall, through the passenger comparment, into the trunk (on a convertible)?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I ran 4 gauge wire back along the edge where the hood meets the car body, I ran it to the firewall. I then crossed the engine bay from the drivers side to the passenger side along the firewall. Right before the hinge for the hood, there is (on my car at least) a small hole that goes into the fender behind the wheel. Feed the wire into this area. The wire for the antenna passes here also. What you want to do is come out of this "hole" right near the hinges for the door. The tricky part is feeding the wire into the hole and grabbing it. A coat hangor in the shape of a hook helps alot, as well as doing this on a VERY sunny day. Pull the wire out of the hole. Now remove the passenger side door sill (just pull it straight up), remove kick panel that covers the ECU/PCM. Next you'll want to make a small cut in the rubber grommet that the door uses for it's power locks/mirrors/window, slide the power wire through the grommet. The rest is easy. If you still need help, PM me.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
If anything, always use rubber grommets when going through the floor or firewall. I have seen my fare share of cars burn to the ground because the owner was not careful. Metal stampings are sharp and will easily slice through the wire insulation. One of the best products out there is a connector that is designed to go through the firewall. Can't remember who makes it. Look on the web. Spare no expense here......

·
Registered
157 Posts
Do not tap into the fuse box.
There is a grommet on the driver's side forward of the hinges in the door jamb. Run the power cable into the driver's side fender above the plastic fenderliner and then through that grommet. Easy.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I went on the passenger side because I had already run signal cable on the driver side. I ended up redoing my system and went from the head unit powering the speakers to three amps powering the speakers and a sub box. So, you can go either side. Just use pre-existing grommets and follow the sill panels. Make sure that you fuse the power cable. I fused mine next to the batt. People who's cars burnt, probably had no fuse. An ounce of prevention can be worth a pound of cure. L8R

1 - 6 of 6 Posts