Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realize this may be a dumb question, but this is my first turbo build. Where would i put the wideband probe??

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cold side or hot side of the turbo? Plus i have twin turbos, so what do i need 2 probes?

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
:rofl:
A wideband is an O2 sensor. It needs to go in the exhaust after the turbo. Not REAL close or it can over heat. I like at least 12in away.

·
Registered
41 Posts
If you have a single turbo you need to put it in the down pipe I think the instruction say 18" away from the turbo and no lower than a 3 O'clock or 9 O'clock angle depeding on which side of the exhaust and the sensor will last longer but a slightly slower response time. You can also mount it closer but it will shorten the sensors life. I install mine at a 2 o"clock position.

TT setup I would think you would want 2 widebands.

And as the other guy above said a WB02 goes in the exhaust.

·
Registered
10 Posts
i have a fast air and fuel meter with two sensers,u put them in each downpipe.not too expensive,they sell from holcomb for $439.95

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
i have a fast air and fuel meter with two sensers,u put them in each downpipe.not too expensive,they sell from holcomb for $439.95
Does it display each bank ? or do you switch it from bank to bank?

I would just have a bung in each dp and swap the sensor back and forth... Im cheap like that lol for less then $440 you could have one AEM in each lol lol..

FAST makes very quality stuff tho.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Just put the sensor right where the two pipes merge, no need for two widebands thats just silly.
That all depends on how far back it is where they merge. The farther back it is the slower the response. I really don't want to blow my motor for a 200.00 WBo2 that I cheaped out on. What I mean by a slower response is, it takes the exhaust gases a longer time to reach the sensor, which could mean melted piston, but hey it is your car.

Truthfully if you have the money to turbo a car you should have the little bit of extra it takes to buy a WB02, just my opinion.

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
That all depends on how far back it is where they merge. The farther back it is the slower the response. I really don't want to blow my motor for a 200.00 WBo2 that I cheaped out on. What I mean by a slower response is, it takes the exhaust gases a longer time to reach the sensor, which could mean melted piston, but hey it is your car.

Truthfully if you have the money to turbo a car you should have the little bit of extra it takes to buy a WB02, just my opinion.
90% of tuners when tuning stick the wideband into the tailpipe, if its good enough for tuning purposes its good enough for observation :cool:
Last time I had my car on the dyno the tuner had his wideband in the tailpipe and I had mine in the downpipe and the difference was almost unnoticeable.
Of course if you just want to throw money out and load up on gauges then go for it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
:cool: Dyno tuners can get away with it out back, they put a safe tune in it first then go from there, they make small changes do a pull, then make more adjustments and so on.

I do agree you could get away with one and install it in an X pipe, as long as you can install it at the proper angle. I have a buddy who has an LS1 with a TT setup and he only uses 1 WBo2 and he dynoed 889hp on stock crank and still the aluminum block.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
On a single setup you don't know what each bank is doing so why do u need to know this on a twin?

Will you even be able to tune each side independently?

If it's just for "safety" then a lot of people don't care about it...

I'd run 1. Unless I had the money to burn, then I'd prolly monitor each cylinder lol

1 - 20 of 21 Posts