Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i needed a new one over the summer and i got one from advance, its an a1-cardone, and it makes more noise than my last pump and the wheels still shudder across the pavement when you turn lock to lock going slow, or stopped. any recomendations? i also put a cardone rack in there too, and ive been reading on sn 95 racks. do you recomend that might be the shutter too?

·
Super Moderator
27,653 Posts
The shuddering will go away once you get all the air out of the lines, and keep it out, as long as your tie rod ends are 100% perfect and any bumpsteer spacer stack you have is 100% tight.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ive bled it of air a ton. ive put a vacuum on it, and taken the cap off to bleed it a ton. if theres air in there then its not coming out. all the tie rod ends are new, and i don't have it bump steered. could that be it?

mm told me to loosen the rack, pull it foward and try it then, cause the mount surface could be uneven but ive tried that and it seems to be okay.

·
Super Moderator
27,653 Posts
What kind of fluid are you using?

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
everywhere said type f, but most people told me mercon was in general a better fluid. switching to a synthetic probably isnt a bad idea, but the hose on the back of the reservoir ( dont remember if its pressure or return ) was leaking at the reservoir, so im guessing synthetic would make it leak allot. this power steering pump is more loud than my stock one, and ive tried bleeding it. is there anything we can upgrade to? where can you find a better quality replacement one than cardone?

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
ive still got some popping when turning, and im pretty sure its my rack. i thought us fox guys did sn racks for their better valving? i can find a used one of those too, oem. but if that website sells real good racks ill get one from there.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Find a SN95 rack (I have a Cardone rebuilt and its fine), get the MM steering shaft to convert the Fox to the SN95 rack, get a new pump (warranty the one you have), and fix the leak on the return line at the pump. Install everything and be sure to put new teflon washers on the rack side of the power steering hoses. Fill the pump with a quality synthetic Type F fluid and hand prime the system by turning the pump pulley by hand. This is easier to do with the front end off the ground and the car properly supported. I had a buddy turn the steering wheel back and forth while I was manually priming the pump. Be sure the fluid level is good in the pump and start the motor. Slowly go lock to lock with the steering wheel and add fluid as needed. This is how I did my install and the pump is quiet. Once you run one of these pumps low on fluid they will whine from that point on. Typically if you replace the rack you need to replace the pump as metal shavings will get into the pump and kill it.

I look at it this way, once you have bought the reman units they are lifetime warranty so if one of them dies just replace them both. Also, if you get a SN95 rack realize that you will have to swap the inner tie-rods from the Fox rack to the SN95 rack. The threads on the racks themselves are the same but the SN95 inner tie-rods are longer and metric on the threads that the outer tie-rods attach to. Do a search on this and it will come up.

Darren

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i knew it was something with the threads. yeah ive got a new cardone rack and pump. so im probably going to do something with the warranty on both. ive got a guy sending me an oem pump for cost of shipping so im probably gonna give that one a shot, but the rack will be warrantied, i work at advance so i should be able to accomplish that one. plus since an 03 rack is newer it will probably be in better shape in general than a 90 one. all 99-04 racks are the same right? minus cobra i know.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
I believe they are. I know the inner tie-rods from 94-98 are but I am not sure about the 99+. You could verify that at work but I think that is correct.

I have a 2000 GT rack on my 93 Coupe and on my 83 T-Bird so I know that one works with the Fox inner tie rods and power steering lines.

Darren

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Not really...it is if the rack is on the ground. I have found that it is easiest to keep the Fox rack installed and remove the inners. Remove the Fox rack and bolt up the SN95 rack. Remove the SN95 inners and install the Fox inners. Thread up the Fox inners on the SN95 rack, toss back in box, and return.

I believe this required a 1-1/4 wrench or crescent that can go that big. You can just use zip ties to secure the boots back on when you are done.

Darren

1 - 20 of 159 Posts