Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering buying a helmet for autox (and HPDEs in the future). I'm tired of using the old, worn helmets that they loan out at the local autox. I'd like it to be SNELL rated, as one of the clubs I'll be driving with checks the rating, whereas this current one doesn't. I have no clue where to even start looking or what brands to consider. Bell is about the only maker I know of.

I do understand that something as important as a helmet shouldn't be skimped on, but I am a college student, and price is a very large consideration.

Any suggestions?

Thanks guys (and gals).

·
Super Moderator
27,657 Posts

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
If you think it'll be a little while before you get into HPDEs, then I would recommend just getting the cheapest helmet you can for auto-x. I started out with an open face HJC motorcycle helmet (Snell M rating) that I bought for $65 or something like that. Looking at HJC's site, it looked like an HJC CS-5N, although that one appears to only be DOT approved (not Snell).

I now have an HJC AR-10 (Snell SA rating) and have been very happy with it.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Alot of open track events are requiring SA2005 or later now. I went ahead and got a new SA2010 so I would be set for a while. I got it from Drudis on here. These are pretty expensive though. I saw some 2010 helmets at Speedway for around $200 though and they did have some SA2005's on closeout for good prices if you happen to need the sizes that they still have.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Go to eBay and type in "SA2010".

·
Registered
351 Posts
I bought a KBC Closed face for about $100. Snell rating of SA2005, still good for another 4 years.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts