Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My machine shop just quoted me $650 to fully machine a new R302 block and install cam bearings. So if i can find an R302 block for around $1400 or so, i will go in this direction. If not, Dart block here i come. Where can i get one the cheapest?

:evil:

·
Registered
8,406 Posts
I agree that the dart block looks to be the better deal, as it's already machined.

However, I went with the R302 because I can have it machined the way I want it done. The dart block is pre-machined, but how well? That's the only issure I have with it, and it may be a small one at that. Dart's machine work may be fine, I can't say because I don't have any knowledge on it.

I have also heard of a rumor of vastly insuficcient cooling ability with the dart block compared to the R302. Could be bunk, I dunno.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Dart block still needs to be machined though. Plus, i want to run the stock bore and i think they only come .030 over. I am in no rush to get the block done either. I have until May for it to be ready.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
FYI, for used blocks, check out the nmra's classifieds, there are a few a4 and r 302s on there right now. www.thefordmall.com and click classifieds, or go to www.nmraracing.com and go to classifieds there. THey link to the same bbs.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
stinkin' Lincoln, yeah i will eventually go to a bigger bore, but right now i just want to swap everything over from my current motor that has the stock bore. I am way passed pushing the stock block's limits and just want the good block for insurance that it won't grenade on me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts