Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
11,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought it would be fun to buff out the cobra intake (95 cobra), polish the thing up, then seal it. So I stopped by the local custom paint place... kind of a hobby shop for guys who like to keep their car polished.

There was an older gentleman waiting for his custom ordered paint, so we struck up a conversation. His project is a corvette motor and drivetrain in an old MGB. After saying "cool" the appropriate number of times, I asked how much wider the car was, and what he did about the windshield. He nodded, since this was the big question, and he stated how a custom windshield was made for him, and it cost a lot.

Fine so far.

Now it was my turn to burn money... I mean order supplies for my hobby. I told the pro what I was doing, and he suggested this or that clearcoat... at $50.

Now it gets ugly. Old guy with his MGB told me that I was wasting my money.
"Excuse me?"
"You should just buy a new intake that's already polished. It'll take you too long to polish your intake"
I know I didn't need to explain myself or defend my decisions to this guy, and I was laughing because you could read the salesman's face: "old guy, are you seriously trying to stop my sale?"
I turned to the guy and said "You spent $2k for a windshield, don't tell me how to save money."

LOL.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
you should have reminded him that it would cost more than $50 to have bought an already polished intake, and then even more to seal in the polish. so unless you are sending the intake out to be polished, and not doing the job yourself, you only have a few dollars in supplies, and a bunch of labor.

·
11,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you should have reminded him that it would cost more than $50 to have bought an already polished intake, and then even more to seal in the polish. so unless you are sending the intake out to be polished, and not doing the job yourself, you only have a few dollars in supplies, and a bunch of labor.
Agreed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts