Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the track again and did a little testing. I did a couple 1/8 mile passes as I have no cage and didn't want to get kicked off as I have no cage. Then did a full pass at the end of the night.

First pass the brakes didn't hold when I put it up on the two step at 3000 rpm.

Second pass: I drop the two step down to 2700 rpm, put timing up to 16 base, full exhaust. I got a new best 60' of a 1.628 with a 7.091 @ 98.79 1/8th.

3rd pass: two step at 2700, timing at 18 base, opened up dumps (last one as there was a lot of oil downs (last car down the track for the night)) I got a new best 1/4. I spun out of the hole and got it a little sideways (the pass before the guy put brake fluid all over the track and because it was the end of the night they didn't bother to drag the track or re-glue it) but I still got a 1.746 60' and a 11.13 at 123 mph.

Here is the problem thou, I was on the rev limiter (6000) at the 1000' mark in drive the rest of the way down the track, I'm thinking I would have ran a 10.8 to 10.9 at around a 127 if this didn't happen.

So what do you guys think is the problem, I think the convertor is ok as the 1/8th pass was OK, I'm wondering if the trans is slipping really bad in 3rd??

Car sure likes the timing, last time at the track the best MPH was 119 with only 12 base.

For an added bonus for the night I shreaded the blower belt on the way home, lucky I had a spare. tore up a bunch of wires for the fan controler and meth kit. I had to jump the fan with a wire to keep it on.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh, data logged my AFR, I'd say its perfect. 11.4 to 11.8 the whole pass.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
With only 18* total I would unhook your Meth and see what it does. Otherwise I think you can probably easily get away with another 4-5 degrees total.

Also you should probably raise the rev-limiter, chipping through the 1000' is for bracket cars.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
With only 18* total I would unhook your Meth and see what it does. Otherwise I think you can probably easily get away with another 4-5 degrees total.

Also you should probably raise the rev-limiter, chipping through the 1000' is for bracket cars.
The 18 degees is my base timing, if it still adds the 16 from the computer I'm at 34 total! But I'm not sure what the chip is doing, it may not be added in the whole 16? I should be able to go 128 mph at 6000 with 10% convertor slip so I think something is up.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Glad to see things are starting to come around! Take your time and don't hurt anything. 34* is alot of timing...I hope you are checking your plugs after every run for detonation.

More than likely it is the converter and not the transmission. How much rpm drop are you getting on the 2-3 shift? Is there any flair on the 2-3 shift? If you are slipping the 3rd gear clutches/band that much I wouldn't think they would last long and your tranny fluid should be dark and burnt smelling. A converter could work perfect in 1st and 2nd and still be drove through in 3rd, there just isn't enough load on the converter in 1st or 2nd for it to show. Keep in mind that converter efficiency will go up as rpm goes up. Raising your rev-limit from 6000 to 6200 may give a disproportionately greater amount of rpm before you are back on the rev-limiter. Depending on what fluid you are using now, switching to a slightly thicker fluid will make the converter lock up more on the big-end. Do the tranny temps go up quite a bit after a run?

Troy

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well as luck would have it I screw up my RPM wire for data logging just before I went to the track so no logged rpm's so I'm not sure how much it drops. Not sure how much flair either but I don't notice anything, seems solid. I only have stock rods that have been polished and shot pened so I don't think I really want to spin it more then 6000 rpm, thats where it seem is the cut off for those rods. May try it thou as I'd like to build a stroker anyway. :rolleyes:
I never did check the plugs either but good point, I should be. On my way home yesterday I ran out of meth, I then heard some detonation, with my luck there goes a head gasket again, I'm afraid to check it..... LOL

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
With my setup it works out to 15% conveter slip or I guess overall slip in the system.
That seems way high. I need to figure this out.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
What size tires?

Might want to consider dropping that gearing down again - 3.31 or 3.27 you probably make a ton of torque and don't need all of that gear anyhow.

Are you blowing thru the converter?

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
The 18 degees is my base timing, if it still adds the 16 from the computer I'm at 34 total! But I'm not sure what the chip is doing, it may not be added in the whole 16? I should be able to go 128 mph at 6000 with 10% convertor slip so I think something is up.
Thats a strange system you have there with a chip tune. Usually they have youset the initial to 10* and then add from there. My guess is your total timing is around 24-26*. You shoudl be able to contact your tuner and have him pull the file up and tell you. It would be nice to know so you set yourself some parameters when adding or removing timing.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Nice runs! This I take it is a blower car! Sounds like if u take ur shift up to around 6500 you would run 10s. My conveter flares a little. good luck

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What size tires?

Might want to consider dropping that gearing down again - 3.31 or 3.27 you probably make a ton of torque and don't need all of that gear anyhow.

Are you blowing thru the converter?
28" tire

Not sure on the convertor, sure wish I had not screwed up my RPM wire for the data logger.

Maybe I should put my stock 2.73's back in?

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thats a strange system you have there with a chip tune. Usually they have youset the initial to 10* and then add from there. My guess is your total timing is around 24-26*. You shoudl be able to contact your tuner and have him pull the file up and tell you. It would be nice to know so you set yourself some parameters when adding or removing timing.
They had me/they set the base at 10 degrees and I think 24 on the meth total and 22 without it (or its 26 and 24), so looks like it adds 14, so I'm now at 32 total (or 34).

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nice runs! This I take it is a blower car! Sounds like if u take ur shift up to around 6500 you would run 10s. My conveter flares a little. good luck
Nutzz, how's it going, long time no talk.
I'm pretty sure I'd easier had a ten that pass except all the spinning as the 60' was off .15 from the pass before. I'm a little afraid to spin it up more then 6000 because of the rods.
Len

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Even with with methanol injection 32-34* of total timing on a blower car seems excessive. If the motor is actually running that much timing and staying together it should make unreal power. Somethings not right with the timing if your at 18* initial and the chip spins out 14*. Either that or the tuner has the IAT sensor set to pull tons of timing at the top.

·
Registered
410 Posts
3.27's or 2.73's are going to load the converter more and make your slip %'s higher. The difference between 6000 and 6200 probably isn't going to do anything to your rods, but could keep you off the rev limiter. I have not had a problem spinning my stock 302 rods (with arp bolts) to 6400-6500, fwiw.

Troy

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
3.27's or 2.73's are going to load the converter more and make your slip %'s higher. The difference between 6000 and 6200 probably isn't going to do anything to your rods, but could keep you off the rev limiter. I have not had a problem spinning my stock 302 rods (with arp bolts) to 6400-6500, fwiw.

Troy
Ya but your rods are forged, mine are not.....

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Even with with methanol injection 32-34* of total timing on a blower car seems excessive. If the motor is actually running that much timing and staying together it should make unreal power. Somethings not right with the timing if your at 18* initial and the chip spins out 14*. Either that or the tuner has the IAT sensor set to pull tons of timing at the top.
Ya I'm going to check to make sure my pointer is in the correct postion, this engine has always liked a lot of timing thou.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So I looked at my blower pulley as I never was able to get 16 psi more (plus it cut up 2 belts) then once, it has/had points on the top of the "V" groves, I'm unsure what boost level I was at on these passes. I've now corrected the pulley by spinning it up in the lathe so it now will ride on the sides of the V not the points, I'm going to put it back together tonight. I'm thinking I may see 20 psi??? Also think I'll hit a mid 10 in the quarter. I find out tonight on the amout of psi I'm going to see. :)
Len

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
What was your pulley combo again? Based on your boost level I was thinking 8.00/3.00 or 3.15. That combo should easily go bottom 10 high 9 with a 134-138 mph trap.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts