Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car still has factory quad shocks.

Just wondering when I should remove them? My current rear setup is..

H&R Race Springs (white ones)
MM XD adjustable perch control arms.
Stock sway bar
MM Panhard bar
Newer OEM Ford upper control arms and new axle housing bushings.
Bilstein HD shocks.

Do I wait for a TA before removing them?

·
Super Moderator
27,657 Posts
Do you have wheelhop now? If not, take them off and see if you get it. If so, put them back on. If not, leave them off. If you already have wheelhop, put some fresh ones on.

·
Registered
7,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No wheel hop at all. Never really had it.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I have the same setup as you, minus the panhard bar- what is the disadvantage of leaving the quad shocks in? Besides tire rub?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Weight would be the reason to remove them.

I had mine out for a long time with basicaly the same setup but w/out the phb. Never had any issues. As said before, as old as yours are, they are probably not working and just dead weight anyway.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I waited until I had the TA installed but probably could have done it after the LCAs and Panhard bar over a year before. Just do it and see.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Don't have mine and don't have a TA, yet. Easy to test whether you need it. Don't forget the frame mount adds into the weight equation as well.

·
Registered
7,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yay, I love weight reduction. :)

I'm gona take the car in to get it aligned hopefully next week. I'll take em off before then and see how she goes.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
i took mine off when i did the brake conversion to make clearance for more tire... never had any issue with them gone. Get rid of that heavy weight underneath your differential also, if you havent done so already...

·
Registered
506 Posts
One reason to leave 'em on is if, in Solo II, you're in stock or ESP ("The number of shock absorbers shall be the same as Stock.").

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
dude, u have MM XD LCA's ur good, remove them

·
Seasoned User
3,010 Posts
I asked MM this and they said you should allways keep them. And I asked saying I have a full MM set-up, they've never put me in the wrong direction.

·
Registered
8,561 Posts
dude, u have MM XD LCA's ur good, remove them

I have those control arms, and brand new ford upper arms....and I had wheel hop. Put new quads on and it went away.

Some setups need them, some don't. Only way to find out is to take them off and see if your rear hops.

·
Super Moderator
27,657 Posts
A torque arm is just about the only thing guaranteed to eliminate the need for quads. With a TA, there's literally nothing for them to do.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts