Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I shift it grinds a little when car is cold?

When I first start my car for the day, and I shift 1-2, 2-3, 3-4th, I will grind a little bit, EVEN IF the clutch pedal is SLAMMED to the floor, I will still grind.

Also, when the car is warming up, I can hear a scratching noise... sounds like 2 disks rubbing against each other. The car is just sitting there idleing

Is my clutch going bad? I've had the car over 1 1/2 years, same clutch, first part of the year I didn't know how to drive a 5spd, so I know I wore it alot in the begining....

·
Registered
233 Posts
That's how it starts. I took mine to the dealer 15 times for this problem. Well they finally rebuilt and the tranny was worse off after the rebuild than before. It will last a long time, it's just gonna have to be babied.

Buy a 3550, TKO, or T-56. There's no other way around it.

Sorry.

P.S. The sctratching is the throwout bearing.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hey Mike,

doesn't sound like your clutch is going out. My 01 GT grinds from 1-2 when it's not warmed up. It does it like clock-work if it's really cold outside. The sychronizers don't seem to be "happy" untill the car has idled for a few minutes. I've had a 1998, 2000 and 2001 Stang..... GT or V6......doesn't matter.

they'll all do it. Don't worry about it. Just another "stang"thang".

Oh, and I'm almost willing to bet the "rubbing" sound your hearing is from your throw-out bearing. Mine squeaks and
makes "chafing noiese all the time....it always goes away when you push the peddle down. You can't really replace it (by itself) end expect it to not do it again. But, it's fine to drive on. I've been driving on a squeaky bearing for a year now. As long as your clutch sn't slipping, just wait till you absolutely have to get it replaced.

hop in your stang and fire her up. The next time you hear the rubbing sound push teh clutch all the way down and see if it goes away. If it does, then the sound your hearing is do to a partially engaged throw-out bearing.

same thing that I have. The thing that usually cuases it is riding the clutch or slipping it really hard, too many times.

forgive my spelling, bro.... I can't use this keybord worth a dam :)

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys.

Minty, you are EXACTLY right, everything you said applies to my car. When I step on the clutch all the way, the "scratching" will go away.

And when I first got the car, I didn't know how to drive stick, and would ride the clutch BIG TIME down the mountain side, using it as a brake!! haha, keep in mind I never had a stick so I had no idea I was destroying my tranny, heh:eek:

Well, I do have a "ExtraCare" warrenty on the car, wonder if it's covered..... thanks guys....

·
Registered
5,828 Posts
MINT 2K said:
Hey Mike,

doesn't sound like your clutch is going out. My 01 GT grinds from 1-2 when it's not warmed up. It does it like clock-work if it's really cold outside. The sychronizers don't seem to be "happy" untill the car has idled for a few minutes. I've had a 1998, 2000 and 2001 Stang..... GT or V6......doesn't matter.

they'll all do it. Don't worry about it. Just another "stang"thang".

Just so you know guys, its just another junk T-45 "thing!" MINT 2K, take that thing to the dealer, tell 'em what its doing and when. Get a loaner car, leave it sit overnight on a cold night. In the morning, go for a ride with the service manager, let him experience it. My Cobra started that crap last year just before it went out of warranty... It would gring on the 3-4 shift when cold. I dropped it off overnight, and let the manager drive it the next morning. He said it was a bad Synchro....

And "POOF" I got a brand spankin' new T-45...........

They WILL replace it under warranty.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Yeah my car use to do that to then i broke the trans racing. I got ford to replace/rebuild the thing under the factory warnite. They replaced most of the parts in it since i drove it to the dealer shifting from first to second to 5th. I got the car back and it was still a little tight when it was cold. So i draind the oil out and replaced it with synthic gear oil and it made the cold chicago starts go away. I hope that helps you out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts