Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Click here for a Tire Calculator...

Wheel Offsets

The offset of a wheel is what locates the tire and wheel assembly in relation to the suspension. More specifically, it is the measured distance between the hub mounting surface and the center line of the rim. Below is an explanation of the various types of offsets which are pictured in the above graphic.

Positive Offset
A positive offset occurs when the hub mounting surface is on the street side (the side you see) of the center line of the rim. Most factory rims will have this type of offset.

Zero Offset
When the hub mounting surface is centered within the rim, it is known as a zero offset.

Negative Offset
If the hub mounting surface is on the brake side of the center line of the rim, it is considered a negative offset or “deep dish”.

Note that extensive negative offset can potentially cause increased steering wheel kick-back and place additional stresses on the vehicle's entire suspension.

Rim Width
The width between the flanges of the wheel (the part the bead of the tire touches).

Section Width
The linear distance between the outside of the sidewalls of an inflated tire without any load on it (this does not include any sidewall decorations).

Section Height
This is also known as the Aspect Ratio. This is figured on a percentage of the section width. A tire size of 205/60R15 would have a section width of 205 millimeters and a section height of 60 percent of 205 millimeters.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Rim compatibility check

Hi Todd,

......awesome info! I was hoping you could help me confirm my thoughts.

I have a 92" Mustang Convert currently with 17" 4-lug Saleen Speedline Rims. I am upgrading to a 5-Lug setup via FFR (Factory Five Racing) Cobra Disc Brake/5-Lug setup. I anticipate installing 18x9 rims w/ 5x114.3mm (same as 5x4.5), and Offset/ET:24 MM, I am hoping that you could confirm that these will fit well utilizing the FX Track?!?!?!

Also an recommendations on tires/sizes for these rims would be great.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hrmmm...

I'm not affiliated with this site or trying to sell anything just found a good tool to help us out and wanted to pass it along.

For whatever reason I can't get to the site here at work, but I found a great wheel/tire/offset calculator at "big custom wheels dot com" that allows you to enter in your current combo, wheel size/tire size and offset and the new combo, so you know exactly what the differences in all areas at once with a graphic that adjusts.

May make things easier for everyone to see what the offset differences will do to wheel placement in the wheel well. Should also help us figure out what other wheel applications are adaptable to our cars.

:joy:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Shelby 500 GT wheels

Hi Todd, Pedrop here.
Any idea what is the widest wheel/tyre combo I can fit on the ´07 Shelby I have? 22´´ def. does not fit!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Racing tires

I just got some 275 60 r15 tires for my 1993 mustang lx 2.3l 4cy im planning on putting a 5.0 in it but i was wondering if those tires would fit in my wheel well without rubbing

·
Registered
573 Posts
I just got some 275 60 r15 tires for my 1993 mustang lx 2.3l 4cy im planning on putting a 5.0 in it but i was wondering if those tires would fit in my wheel well without rubbing
225-60-15 are supposedly 25.63 inches high.
275-50-15 are supposedly 25.83 inches high.
275-60-15 are supposedly 27.99 inches high.

I am wondering exactly the same thing on the 275/50/15. Couldn't figure out how to use those calculators. I have stock Ford 15" wheels.

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
I have a weld RIM not shore of exact size there is a 225 50 15 on it can I fit a 255 60 15
Tire fitment is based on wheel width. If you can't tell us the wheel width, how are we supposed to tell you if a tire will fit? :confused:

With that said, I only see a couple of tires available in 255/60-15 - the BFG Radial T/A and the Cooper Cobra Radial G/T. Both say that size will fit a 7-9" wide wheel. Chances are the Weld wheels you have fall in that range, so chances are YES, a 255/60-15 will fit. It will look like a big balloon, but it will fit.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thank you the weld rims I have are 15x8 the get 255 60 looks great on my 91 lx no rolling or banging if I knew how to post a pic on here from my cell I would love to share

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hey everyone,

I wanted to post up our new Tire Calculator for you guys to use. It's had a few great features, like being able to compare tire sizes/heights mathematically and visually!

Shane

·
Registered
4 Posts
i want to put 8 inch weld rim on the back what back space will work 5.50 4.50 3.50 91 notch tire size 27x10.50 15 4 lug

1 - 17 of 17 Posts