Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to drag racing, bought a 1991 gt a few months ago. I started with the motor and done afr165 heads, tfs stage 1 cam,1.6rr, alum radiator, electric fan. I am having the suspension done now, I went with strange 10 ways front and rear,cc plates,eibach drag springs, adjustable upper and lowers,subframe connectors and torque box welded up kit. Also had 373 gears installed. My question is what size wheels and tires to use at the track? The car is four lug.

·
Registered
5,291 Posts
thats like going to a grocery store and telling the cashier you need food..you can put whatever size/style wheel/tire combo you want on there..theres thousands of different combos..its your car,you have to look at it

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That may be true, but some people on here have good advice. I didnt ask for you to pick them out. I was just lookig for ideas.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
I would do at least a basic 5 lug upgrade you have a much better wheel and tire choices and this is why I am saying this . I would buy (and did) Billet specialties wheels street lites only in 5 lug do a search and you will find them will post a pic for you of my car needs paint but thats nothing new LOL . http://www.billetspecialties.com/item.asp?cid=16&scid=251&pid=940 great looks sfi approved and relatively light 15x4" 1.625bs fronts 15x8" 5.5bs rears (I bought 10" 6.5bs mini tubed) tires for front 185/60/15 series rears nitto drags for mostly street and some track mickeys for mostly track use size 275/60/15 . If you have to stay 4 lug go with the weld racing wheels cheap but same size wheels and tires .

·
Registered
5,291 Posts
ROCUN said:
I didnt ask for you to pick them out. I was just lookig for ideas.
My question is what size wheels and tires to use at the track?
i wasnt trying to be a dick..most people run 15x8 rear wheels and 15x3.5 fronts if you want to go with skinnies..with a 3.73 rear i'd stick with a 26" tall tire..depedning on what type of tire(slick drag radial,etc) somewhere around 10" wide should be enuff to hold you at your power level..IMO, a 275/60-15 which is a 28" tall tire, is gonna kill your gear ratio if you only have 3.73's out back..thats 2" taller than stock,i think the math works out to be equal to having 3.45's in there ..hows that?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am planning on doing the 5 lug upgrade later. I was going to see if I cut pick up a used set of four lugs wheels in the classified on here.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
I am planning on doing the 5 lug upgrade later. I was going to see if I cut pick up a used set of four lugs wheels in the classified on here.
I say save the money and just buy tires for the wheels you have (by the way what rims do you have now) then do the upgrade and buy the rims you like best then . If you have the factory gt rims you can fit a 275/60 or 275/50 on them the 275/60 fit better I know I had them at one time and you can but a 195 series on the front stock rim but a 205 is better had that also . But its all up to you . Let us know what you decide to do .

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have the pony stock wheels. I was thinking about used four lugs wheels just for track use. I didnt want to use my street tire at track. I have never draged raced a car at a track before and thought it would be better to get a second set of wheels and tires just for this.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
I have the pony stock wheels. I was thinking about used four lugs wheels just for track use. I didnt want to use my street tire at track. I have never draged raced a car at a track before and thought it would be better to get a second set of wheels and tires just for this.
I know it will look weird for a little bit but how about buying a pair of gt wheels for the rear and put some drag radials on just for the track and still have the pony's for the street until you do the 5 lug conversion and new rims all the way around and sell the pony's to offset the purchase of the new wheels just a thought .

·
Registered
5,291 Posts
you can get a pair of turbines or 10-holes dirt cheap..it may look stupid with different wheels on the front and back,but who cares? everyone does it

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Look for some used draglites or rodlites for the 4 lug
15x3.5 up front and 15x8 with 5.5BS or 15x10 with 6.5BS in the rear. Those are the common sizes for drag type setups.

On a 15x8 you can fit up to a 28x10.5 slick, however the slick will bulge out. I would think a 275/50/15 drag radial, 26x11.5x15 ET Street, or 26x10 ET drag would be all the tire you need for your combo.

Here is a picture of my coupe on Billet Streetlites, they are 15x10 rear with 7.5BS and my car is mini-tubbed. The 7.5BS won't fit a standard fox fender well.

This picture is a 28x10.5 ET Drag, it tucks nicely inside the fender lip with the 7.5 Backspace, but again mini-tubbing is required to fit that deep of a backspace.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank for all the replys. Thats a nice coupe White90GT. Could some one exlplain wheel backspacing. I google it and know what it is, but how to you know what size backspacing to use.

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
for a stang stock wheel well a 15x8 with 5.5 backspace seems to be the ticket and is what i ran with my stock wheel tub gt with 275/50/15 nittos with no problem.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Yes, for a foxbody mustang, the choices are:
15x8 with 5.5 Backspace or 15x10 with 6.5 backspace.

With those backspace settings, the outer lip of the wheel will sit fairly flush with the outer fender lip above the wheel. The 15x10 will stick out just a little.

You can not run any deeper than a 6.5 backspace on a fox that is not mini-tubbed because the inside wheel lip will hit the inner frame area (no matter how much you bang on it with a big hammer).

What backspace is, is how deep the wheels is on the hub side from the outer wheel lip to the hub mount. If you take a wide piece of straight edge and lay it across the back side of the wheel, then take a tap measure and measure from that straight edge down to where your lug bolts go through, you will get either 5.5 or 6.5 inches.

You can run a 4.5BS 15x8 wheel on there and looking at the dish in the outside of the wheel, it will look as deep as a 10" wheel, and will stick out of the fender the same amount that a 10" wheel will, but obviously its not as wide.

Hope that explains it for ya.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts