Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This question is geared primarily towards people who've dyno'd their cars and know where the motor is making peak power.

My question is, where do you normally shift? I had the dyno operator tell me to shift at 6,200 (right when my power starts to fall off) and I had another old school drag racer tell me to shift at 1,000 RPM above peak power, so that the next gear falls back into the peak power range.

So where do you guys slam the gears?

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
My conveter stall's to 6500 and I shift about 8000-8200. From my data log's rpm's only drop 500-800 rpm's. This is a Ultimate converter and a Power glide. Some times during a run Im not even sure I have shifted because everything happens so fast and the car doesnt drop rpm's enough to tell by the sound.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
It's always been my understanding that you want to shift at a point where the drop in RPM results in the same torque you left off at....giving you the largest "area under the curve". To figure this out, you need to know your transmission ratios as the RPM drop is different in each gear...meaning different shift points in each gear for optimum performance.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good info Millhouse...Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts