Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to cut the spare tire well and build a cage for a 20 gallon Jeg's aluminum fuel cell. These cells aren't baffled nor do they contain foam-is this a concern for a car that will see some track duty and the occasional hillclimb? what concerns are there if any?

·
Registered
479 Posts
I have a 15 gallon one and i added the foam to it myself. I have not noticed any issues, BUT i never run my car below 1/4 tank.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sorry for the newb question but how did you add the foam?

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have an ATL FIA certified fuel cell in my SCCA racecar and it isn't baffled. It does have two pickups and has cell foam in it. The only racing cells that I have seen with baffles are the ones designed for EFI applications that use in- cell pumps.

You should be able to stuff fuel cell foam through the fuel fill. The potential issue might be getting back out to replace it. Fuel cell foam eventually starts to fall appart and has to be replaced. Which is kind of hard to do through a small hole.

The issue that I would see with running a drag race cell is that they aren't spec'd by any sanctioning body for road course work. Also they offer none of the crash protection that a deformable cell in a can has.

If you are looking for a cheap solution, use a quality circle track fuel cell in a steel can. They aren't rated to be as good as an ATL/Fuel Safe cell but they would be better than an aluminum tank.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I bought a baffled Behind Bars 18 gallon cell with a real nice magnaflow in-tank pump but it interferes with my panhard bar so I'd like to switch directions and either buy a decent universal cell and fit a cage around it or have one custom made. Either way, it needs to be approved for track use and work in a road course environment behind around a 550 hp injected engine.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Racing Safety Fuel Cell Bladder Tanks

I have a 12 gallon Saver Cell in an aluminum can in my RX7. We were able to easily fit a 15 Gallon ATL cell in the back of an A Sedan Fox mustang that had a panhard bar. There are a number of options for plumbing the cell for you EFI application - give them a call.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Catalog

really interested in the max-sport fuel cell at the bottom of the page. I'm going to inquire about it tomorrow.

Something tells me I will have a mini heart attack when I hear the price.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts