Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gang,

So the last two times I've floored the car in 3rd gear, both times right after long, sweeping right hand turns, the car cut out hard on me around 4krpm. First time, I had 1/4 tank in the car, second 1/8th. I ran the codes today and got nothing unusual (just the normal 41 and 91 I always get KOEO and KOER). Cylinder balance test was fine as well. Obviously, I need to put more gas in the car and try again, but does that sound normal to y'all for a fox body with a stock tank and stock-location fuel pump or is this indicative of some other problem? I don't recall ever having a fuel pick-up problem like this before, but I can't recall the last time I romped on it with such a low volume of gas in the tank.

TIA.

Casey

·
Registered
377 Posts
I have that issue as well when I get close to a quarter tank. The needle will actually register empty but when I pit in the level rises back to a quarter tank. Our tank designs are different, but I have just accepted it for now and try to run more gas.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I will start sputtering in long right hand sweepers when I get down to 2-3 gallons.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Also gas gauge doesn't work when on track.

·
Registered
625 Posts
with the 03/04 tank in my 99, I've run down to the fuel light for about 10 minutes with no problems. N/A though.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, it isn't the fuel level. I put 10 gallons in the car today and it still cut out hard when I got on it in 3rd gear. Even more worrisome, it started cutting out in 4th and 5th as well. Going to pull plugs and check the basics today. Really hoping it's something simple as I am a poor grad student.

·
Registered
898 Posts
I have have the same problem on rt turns when the tank is less than 1/3rd full. I don't think it makes any difference if its a slow sharp rt or long decreasing radius-track or street. On the street there is a long rt hander at my interstate exit with a stop light 1/4 mile after exiting. Dies out there but restarts.Just got the car about a month ago, 1st fox body. I guess it could be the tank baffle. Anybody ever pulled it out and looked or can you see in the tank with the pump amd sender out?

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
My Mustang will consistently hold over 1.2g and only corrected with fuel cell with foam insert.
I gave up quickly trying to correct the stock tank, no matter how much fuel was in there...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts