Ford Mustang Forums banner

121 - 140 of 167 Posts

·
Registered
856 Posts
It would be nice to see actual results.
That is, and always has been the Achilles Heel of The Big Dawg. Talk, talk, talk and yet more talk, and then referred to Facebook or You Tube????????? I just don't get it, Tony you're not so unsophisticated as to not know that the numbers talk and the BS walks. You want legitimacy, time to post time slips or step away from the podium.

Jay

·
Registered
856 Posts
About the only way this thread could be more ridiculous would be if someone were to point out yet again the thread title in which the OP asks about the limits of a STOCK Explorer intake. Comprehension skills be damned, full speed ahead!

Jay

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Trying to decide if I should run what I have, buy am $850 new intake, or a $250 port job on the explorer intake. Is 350-400hp N/A possible with an unported explorer intake?
Post #19

As far as I know N/A no one has a higher number??? 396rwhp 419tq

I have the timing dropped now being its a daily driver and still makes 377hp at the tires this is with a T56 behind it.
I am still doing some tuning on this car so it may have some more hp in it. Megasquirt so I'm learning.

Regardless this build is for me so I'm just enjoying building it and the learning that comes from it. BUT one day when I feel the car is 100% done on the cobra intake. I have a TFR sitting on the floor and we will see how much power this intake makes compared to an off the shelf R. When I do it I will dyno the cobra pull and then go get dyno numbers on the R right after.

I'm not sure your CI but keep in mind if its a 308 you will have to turn that motor more RPMs then me for max power.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The Bigdogs super explorer intake met a dyno atop a 363 on here and made substandard power. Bigdogs is of course claiming that the engine was run with too little timing which is misdirection. 11R heads do NOT want 34 degrees of timing 28 degrees is the sweet spot. IMO this is just a way to make an excuse for a part that under performs.

I found this. Hmmmmm....

·
Registered
77 Posts
Post #19

As far as I know N/A no one has a higher number??? 396rwhp 419tq

I have the timing dropped now being its a daily driver and still makes 377hp at the tires this is with a T56 behind it.
I am still doing some tuning on this car so it may have some more hp in it. Megasquirt so I'm learning.

Regardless this build is for me so I'm just enjoying building it and the learning that comes from it. BUT one day when I feel the car is 100% done on the cobra intake. I have a TFR sitting on the floor and we will see how much power this intake makes compared to an off the shelf R. When I do it I will dyno the cobra pull and then go get dyno numbers on the R right after.

I'm not sure your CI but keep in mind if its a 308 you will have to turn that motor more RPMs then me for max power.
I'd be interested in seeing how those dyne graphs compare.

·
Registered
2002 mustang v6 5 speed coupe vin, built fia gt1 8.2 sbf and cobra irs
3 Posts
Hey, you can make some extra power with a vacuum pump. It works like a pcv but actually makes suction and helps your rings seal. Full bolt on kit from gz Motorsports runs about $800 and basically has the same benefits as a dry sump without excessive rpm. Helps any rpm and displacement. You can run a bone stock explorer intake with a really good cam and (if in the 300-310 cui range) some 165-185 heads or ported gt40’s. Should bump you up about 40-50 hp and an easy 400whp

·
Registered
59 Posts
Regardless of what side you're on here, or if you're just a casual observer like myself, it's great to see a topic like an explorer intake still stirring up talk and conversation. In the days of billet heads, twin turbos, and cookie cutter 1000hp, here we are still hashing out the ins and outs of oem parts and who builds the better mouse trap.

It's nice to see the grassroots portion of the hobby still exists.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
343 Posts
Good points. When I say 'not as much of a restriction', I'm not necessarily looking for the one that flows the most air overall, but the one that flows enough to make the power where I want it. Using your hypothetical examples, I would of course go with intake #2, unless it was behind intake #1 up to, say, 4k rpm in torque production. In my case, it's a street car with an automatic so it can't be a turd down low. Just curious as to others' experiences swapping intakes, and if there are any that out-perform a ported explorer intake throughout the rpm range. I have Gt40p, stock cam and a novi pushing 7psi.
But for example, upgrading your GT40p to lets say a Holley Systemax II is quite pointless in my honest opinion.
Sure, it may be a little bit more efficient. But the extra numbers you get is just a simple pulley change away anyways.
And a pulley is way cheaper than an intake.

·
Registered
109 Posts
But for example, upgrading your GT40p to lets say a Holley Systemax II is quite pointless in my honest opinion.
Sure, it may be a little bit more efficient. But the extra numbers you get is just a simple pulley change away anyways.
And a pulley is way cheaper than an intake.
All well and good, except restrictions cause friction which increases pressure and IAT temps. It’s all viscous flow. I’d rather run 10lbs of boost through a non restricted intake then 12lbs of boost through a restricted intake.

·
Registered
343 Posts
All well and good, except restrictions cause friction which increases pressure and IAT temps. It’s all viscous flow. I’d rather run 10lbs of boost through a non restricted intake then 12lbs of boost through a restricted intake.
So would I.
But spending $400 on an intake vs $50 on a pulley and $350 on other stuff weighs greater for me.
Especially if you're in the lower boost range where you (hopefully) don't have skyhigh IAT either way.

It's all down to preferences.

Reactions: CDW6212R

·
Registered
549 Posts
View attachment 1068684

I found this. Hmmmmm....
There are other folks that picked up power and speed by lowering timing from in the 32-34 range to 28-29 range with 11r heads. The above seems to be the exception and not the rule. Remember that adjustable timing pointers can be set incorrectly, balancers can slip, etc... so what was read as 34 degrees may not actually be 34 degrees.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Mr. Jody, what does you car run at the drag strip? Did you independently have you’re heads and intake tested to see how big dogs numbers match up? Do you know if the upper and lower were flowed together?Do you even care that your intake seems to have been flowed at depressions well below the industry standard? Or are you just happy with a piece of paper that has a flow number on it and a car that feels fast on the street? If so you don’t have near the data to go popping off at the mouth and go around bashing other porters work

When someone tests at low depressions only it is almost always because their equipment is not capable of pulling higher depressions. The local guy I have used even pulls higher depressions than 28”. You will learn things buy pulling depressions more inline with what the engine will demand.

This is not to say big dog does good or bad work. I’m sure he does good work. It’s only to point out that you have provided purse poodle data and are running off at the mouth like a big dog.
Yes.. they were flowed together. It will run 11's. STOCK bottom end 302 with a baby cam. You must be blind if you can't see the light. Have a good day

·
Registered
89 Posts
I can show you another video of us changing the vacuum depression and the processor adjusting the readings calculation to 28". The processor does the math no matter what the vacuum is. In the video the plate was calculated to flow 157cfm at 28". If we ran 35" it would still read 157cfm because the computer does the calculation automatically. We don't need to run all of our motors because it's very accurate. This has been explained many times before but people have nothing else to Harp on. We can easily flow parts 28" but it won't change the final reading lol. This is why we do a before and after flow test on all parts to see the gains. That should be standard with all porters. Show the gains from the work.
I use equations and calcualtions everyday at my job. Many times there are things that these equations and calculations do not consider. I would 100% of the time trust the readings taken at the standard depression instead of testing at super low depressions and letting the computer do the work. If you simple test everything at 28" depression or as close, this would elminate many of your doubters.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Yes.. they were flowed together. It will run 11's. STOCK bottom end 302 with a baby cam. You must be blind if you can't see the light. Have a good day
Lol..guy says he's "outta this thread" but here he is.... So scrolling through post history, you're telling me in ~2.5 years, you went from "custom cam is the way to go" with Ed to "cam companies know best" and also "Ok folks... Trying to get a Holly Systemax 2 from a dude on here... " to gurgling on Big Hogs porting? Who touched you? Or you just KnOw MoRe than the guys who have been doing this longer than you've probably been alive.... Might be able to save some face by walking away at this point but fairly confident everyone here has already mopped the floor with it....

·
Registered
26 Posts
There are other folks that picked up power and speed by lowering timing from in the 32-34 range to 28-29 range with 11r heads. The above seems to be the exception and not the rule. Remember that adjustable timing pointers can be set incorrectly, balancers can slip, etc... so what was read as 34 degrees may not actually be 34 degrees.
I see your point, but the guy you were talking about, also lost power when he turned is timing down to 28 degree also. Manufacturers has their recommendations, but everyone package isn't the same. All motors need the same basics (air, fuel, spark), but all the motors "sweet spot" is rarely the same.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Lol..guy says he's "outta this thread" but here he is.... So scrolling through post history, you're telling me in ~2.5 years, you went from "custom cam is the way to go" with Ed to "cam companies know best" and also "Ok folks... Trying to get a Holly Systemax 2 from a dude on here... " to gurgling on Big Hogs porting? Who touched you? Or you just KnOw MoRe than the guys who have been doing this longer than you've probably been alive.... Might be able to save some face by walking away at this point but fairly confident everyone here has already mopped the floor with it....
Now he is in people's classified ads causing ****. Mods are definitely asleep at the wheel.

121 - 140 of 167 Posts