Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the deal?

I'm seeing more and more vendors say they cannot ship a product to CA or sometimes to a State that enforces CARB rules (liek NY, MA, etc....). Did some law change or are these companies lawyers making them do this to limit liability?

Seems odd and sudden. It's like these companies think they will somehow be responsible for how something they sold gets used.

Example.....LMR won't ship a BOSS 302 SBF engine block to CA. Among other items.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
a lot of companies are not wanting to spend the money to get parts CARB certified anymore, mostly because california has tightened up their certification requirements. for instance, in california these days you can still swap engines, BUT the newer engine must still maintain its emissions controls, and you have to marry them with the emissions controls on the chassis. also the emissions shops will check the date codes on the block and if the date code is older than the car, then its an automatic fail emissions wise, even though the engine may put out zero emissions. and since the aftermarket blocks never came in production cars, they cannot be used in emissions controlled cars in california, again even if the emissions output is zero.

·
Registered
6 Posts
California is far and away the worst state in the union to do business with, both from within and without. So many ridiculous regulations across the board and high fees for everything, not to mention the looming lawsuits for any possible import violation, it's just easier for many companies to just say screw it, it's not worth it. I don't blame them one bit, though it does suck for California residents.

Much of it has to do with the prop 65 BS, because you know everything in the world causes cancer.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah they probably want someone to tag air with those damn Prop 65 warnings. We get stuff at work everyday with a piece of paper in every box that says the item might give us cancer. How many trees have to die for Prop 65?

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
CA voters actually passed Prop 65.
Well people in CA can have their crappy laws then.

I'm in MA, but i haven't run into anything like this yet. Granted...i haven't ordered a crate motor yet.

MA is pretty lax on enforcement anyway. Hoods don't get popped during inspection and no sniffer test is done. Our cars usually rust away so inspecting a pre-2000 car is a rare occurrence here.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
CA voters actually passed Prop 65.
Yes, CA residents did vote to pass prop65. Who wouldn't vote to keep cancer causing products out of the marketplace. Now that prop65 is passed, anything the CA government considers a carcenagen, can be banned. Gives the CA EPA all sorts of power.

·
Premium Member
2,356 Posts
Yes, CA residents did vote to pass prop65. Who wouldn't vote to keep cancer causing products out of the marketplace. Now that prop65 is passed, anything the CA government considers a carcenagen, can be banned. Gives the CA EPA all sorts of power.
Exactly...it was not about preventing cancer, it was about consolidating power.

·
Registered
344 Posts
California's laws suck and they think they can tell the rest of us how to live! There are a lot of Firearms Manufacturers that just won't sell anything to California now.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
And if prop65 was really about reducing the risk of cancer, they would have banned cigarettes. Instead the tax jumped from 27% to 65%. This shows that, although they say they care about people's health, they care about the money a whole lot more.
I dunno. It's easier to jack up taxes on a product to make it less attractive than ban it out right. I've been noticing lately that smoking is tanking in my neck of the woods. Just a few years ago I would see big groups of people smoking. I see only a couple people smoking now. And I hate to say it this way but, those that still smoke look to be overwhelmingly poor and/or uneducated. And smoking is so expensive, they are the last people that should be buying smokes. Probably nice people, but smoking looks trashy.

·
11,042 Posts
FWIW: Not being allowed to ship certain parts to California is a CARB thing, not prop65.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
FWIW: Not being allowed to ship certain parts to California is a CARB thing, not prop65.
Ok. I live in NY. While we follow CA emissions, we don't have anything to do with CARB here. CARB holds no direct jurisdiction over NY, so why not ship FRPP BOSS blocks here? Doesn't make sense to me. Why would a mfg be responsible for how the buyer uses the product? I don't agree with that logic.

I could build a 100% scratch built ground up race car, say a small dragster and want to run a BOSS 302 based engine but I could not get the block. That's stupid. It's not a street car. It's not subject to emissions to the best of my knowledge even in CA.

·
11,042 Posts
Ok. I live in NY. While we follow CA emissions, we don't have anything to do with CARB here. CARB holds no direct jurisdiction over NY, so why not ship FRPP BOSS blocks here? Doesn't make sense to me. Why would a mfg be responsible for how the buyer uses the product? I don't agree with that logic.

I could build a 100% scratch built ground up race car, say a small dragster and want to run a BOSS 302 based engine but I could not get the block. That's stupid. It's not a street car. It's not subject to emissions to the best of my knowledge even in CA.
While it's not typical that government decisions don't make sense /S this drama seems to be caused by CARB wanting Ford to pay for CARB approval of crate coyotes.
1. Yes, the crate motor is the same motor that has been approved for new mustangs.
2. Yes, a citizen is allowed to pull the motor from a salvage mustang and legally put it in their sn95 or fox.
... but CARB wants $10k from Ford to certify the crate motor. I can get a dyno tune for $50, and a smog check for another $50, so don't ask me why CARB needs $10k. I just think of it as bandits extracting tribute from travelers.

I think I'll just go with an electric conversion. I have my eye on a DC motor that has 1000 ft lbs of torque from 0 rpm... talk about a hole shot.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
A Chevy Volt walked away from my F150 yesterday like I was sitting still. I wasn't flooring the pedal but I was in it pretty good. I was like..."Hmmmm....hard to fight instant torque."

If it weren't for that pesky energy storage problem, electric would rule the world.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I don't know. I think I would rather rattle windows to let the wife know I am home, and let people that are playing basketball in the street know I am coming.

·
Registered
908 Posts
A Chevy Volt walked away from my F150 yesterday like I was sitting still. I wasn't flooring the pedal but I was in it pretty good. I was like..."Hmmmm....hard to fight instant torque."

If it weren't for that pesky energy storage problem, electric would rule the world.
I will never understand why Natural Gas doesn't rule the USA we have the most of it and its a clean fuel.

Ca/cities suck. But they have a bunch of good people that just have to live by the stupid stuff the cities come up with because the majority live in the cities. Sorry not sorry

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Yes, I have close family that lives in California. They say most of the state is wonderful to live in. It's kinda like illinois, we have Chicago.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts