Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
as the title states i just got myself a 1987 hatchback with T-Tops. no motor or trans. car was a 4 cylinder. i have the 350SBC already. just wanting to know mainly what else id need and have to do to get it in and running. would like to run a TH-350/400 trans to a Ford 8.8/9". thanks for any help as id like to start getting into this soon

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what struts would anyone recommend as the car will be a street/strip car. primarily strip.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Kooks and Dynatech both make a header; but they have a "Stahl" pattern, so make sure you get the right adaptor plates for your sbc. The ones that come in the kit are too big for most of your "offf-the shelf" conventional 23* heads. Stahl will sell you the correct size. (that's an extra $80.00 to tack on to your project..). If you watch the "classifieds" over at Yellowbullet.com; you'll see some used on there for a decent price. Might try that first before you buy brand-new.
I've heard that first gen Camaro headers will work with a little surgery on a couple of the tubes on one side; but I can't confirm that for sure.
As far as the AJ&E K-member goes; they are a complete bolt-in deal that works great. I know first-hand. A few years ago; I bought a '79 notch 4 cyl car for a couple of hundred bucks. A buddy of mine had a bunch of left over SBC parts; so we did the swap. Very straight-forward deal. Be sure and get the transmission cross-member too. With a PG, I had to use a hammer and dent quite abit of the transmission tunnel on the driver side and right above the dr. side collector, too.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks man. gonna go check this all out. ill be back before long. gotta go eat turkey and fight for presents lol

·
Registered
288 Posts
Hold that turkey leg like a Pro5.0 shifter..

No problem. If you run into anything else along the way let me know. This is all still pretty fresh on my mind.
Keep us posted.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
to have the coilovers to be complete what else will i need other than what's in the "Must Have" kit? still trying to check around and see what all ill need for coilovers as i have no prior experience with them. wanting to try something new

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so the other than the the K member, A- arms, and the coilovers in the AJE kit i'll need some Stuts? and thats pretty much it to just get the install in? thinking of going with Lakewood 90/10s? any opinions as it will be somewhat a street/strip setup with 80% of it being strip duty.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Yeah, that's pretty much it. If you're in a pinch for money, you can actually use your factory a-arms and struts. No lightweight savings though.
I drive mine on the street occasionally and to be completely honest about it; the coil-overs are very "creaky" and noisy in tight turns (like pulling into and backing out of parking spaces..). I wouldn't use them on a street car that sees regular use.JMO. I'm picky about my street cars.
The 90/10's will be fine.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah. just wanting to make sure i get all the parts i need @ once. so the coilover kit just slips over the struts to allow for an adjustable ride height? saw a walk through and thats how the UPR kit looked like it worked. but ill be going with the AJE(sbc mounts)

·
Registered
288 Posts
If you buy the Lakewood struts; you'll need to remove the flange on the top of the struts, if I remember correctly. You'll see three spot-welds there. Seems like I used a 3/8" drill bit and drilled lightly until I went through the welds, the it'll just pull off and then you can slide your coil overs over them.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
not too bad man. just so ready to get the front suspension together so i can hop on the engine and trans. debating on the Lakewoods or possible, Strange, QA1 struts. any opinions?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
would any of the QA1 or Strange adjustable Struts just bolt in with the AJE coilovers without having to mod the strut like mentioned in the above Lakewood 90/10s? thanks

·
Registered
288 Posts
would any of the QA1 or Strange adjustable Struts just bolt in with the AJE coilovers without having to mod the strut like mentioned in the above Lakewood 90/10s? thanks
Couldn't tell you. I've only personally dealt with the Lakewoods. The "mod" you are talking about is every bit of a 5 minute job. Don't let that discourage you..

·
Registered
288 Posts
Thanks. It's a 2-bolt main, 400SBC, flat-tappet cam, Iron Eagle heads, 850 Holley. No bottle yet; still trying to figure why this car spins. It's best time so far has been [email protected] 106 leaving off a foot-brake with a Powerglide and 4.10's.
Of all the "cross-breading", engine swaps I've done, this has been the easiest. Excellent platform to start with.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
trying to find out what struts to order but i keep seeing front struts and front shocks? what would i need to use the AJE coilovers with the AJE K member and a arms? pretty sure id be wanting the struts. if anyone has a part number to the style of strut i should be looking for would be great so i can see what characteristics i shud be looking for when placing my order. thanks

·
Registered
288 Posts
trying to find out what struts to order but i keep seeing front struts and front shocks? what would i need to use the AJE coilovers with the AJE K member and a arms? pretty sure id be wanting the struts. if anyone has a part number to the style of strut i should be looking for would be great so i can see what characteristics i shud be looking for when placing my order. thanks
If you don't want to run the Lakewoods; why don't you call AJ&E and ask them what they'd recommend. FOX cars never came with a front "shock" to my knowledge.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts