Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to get my new motor tuned and need to make sure that it is set up for a good safe fuel/air ratio for open track. This is a dedicated track car so I'm not concerned with any type of street driving ability. I would think that the type of on the gas/off the gas driving it will see that it needs to be set up just a shade on the rich side. Am I on the right track? (no pun intended)

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
I see 12.9 to 13.5 on my LC-1 on my WOT spurts. This is a fairly stock ModMotor car, not sure if relates to your application. 93 octane, 260-ish whp

·
Registered
397 Posts
Fueling is important and can help to control engine temps. Too hot? Try adding some fuel. Many say that 12.5:1 is pretty close to ideal for power production, and is a little "safer" than a 13:1 ratio in terms of controlling combustion temps and therefore avoiding burned pistons.

The other key to a safe tune is ignition timing. Don't get greedy with timing. Find your timing for power then back off a couple degrees. Leaving a few HP behind is cheap compared to what can happen if you get greedy and get detonation.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
This is one of my tunes back in 2004, where I was running out of MAF cpacity, and started to run "lean" (at 12.0+)...
Yeah, running this rich hurts power... but after 10 years and 37K miles on ORIGINAL shortblock, still doing fine. ;)
I re-tuned and get pig-rich like 10.8 (opposite of this graph), dumping fuel at 5800+ for a "soft-touch" rev limiter...

·
Registered
8 Posts
What is the compression ratio on the motor, and what type of fuel are you running?

General rule of thumb for my track cars: 9.0:1 - 10.0:1 93 octane be conservative on the timing side and look for a 12.0-12.3 under wot.

Anything over 10.0:1 I would run 100 in it between 12.2-12.5.

There are a whole lot more variables than this, but, here is what I start with. I have about 5000 miles on my track car motor with no issues

1 - 9 of 9 Posts