Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my turbo set finished but header gaskets were leaking right at start up. I used the gaskets that came in the On3 kit. Can anyone recammend a good gasket for boosted cars?

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
After using Remflex gaskets I will never use any other gasket. Remflex is the only way to go!

·
Registered
297 Posts
I used copper rtv, works well. Never tried remflex though so I can't say which is better

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I used copper rtv, works well. Never tried remflex though so I can't say which is better
I have used both. Here is how I see it. RTV works great when you have a flat header flange and flat mounting surface on the head. If they both are perfectly flat you do not need RTV. But perfectly flat header flanges are almost impossible. So you put RTV on and most of it gets pushed out because the mounting surfaces are close to flat. The RTV just fills small voids where the header or head is not perfectly flat. Every thing is great until you put heat cycles into it. Now the header flange starts to warp. It pulls away from the head and the RTV has no way to fill that void. Now you have a situation where exhaust gas can get between the head and the header. This pushes the RTV as well as burns it off. You then end up with a leak.

RTV works great on a race car where the headers are off all the time. Sure RTV can save money on headers gaskets and will survive a few runs. But in a application like a turbo car where you have back pressure pre turbine and do not plan to pull the headers off all the time the Remflex gaskets are a MUCH better way to go. The gaskets have a high temp resistance, are thick, compress to half it's packaged thickness and rebound when you warp a header flange some or have a header bolt come slightly loose.

I personally have tried RTV and had to redo it several times with normal use. Once I started warping my flanges some the RTV would not seal. So they had to come off the car, put on a belt sander, sanded relatively flat, put them back on the car with RTV, pulled off again when the same thing happened. THEN I finally tried a Remflex gasket and I have not touched the headers since then.

If your system is off the car do yourself a favor and try a set of Remflex gaskets. You will be glad you did. Especially if you plan to have the turbo kit on the car for quite a while.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
They are not re-useable. Like I said, if you plan to have your kit apart all the time gaskets may get expensive.

If you want to seal a kit and not touch it for years the cost of the gaskets are minimal. But the cost is offset some by the cost of the RTV and aspirin needed to deal with RTV all the time. lol

* Disclaimer: Your experience may differ if you have a 'jack stand' race car. haha I had to do it after your last post. Just joking around. :thumbsup:

·
Formerly eades5.0
4,716 Posts
I use RTV and my kit never comes off my car, and never had a issue. Every car, header etc are diff I suppose.

I put the kit on the 1st time and it was on there for 4-5yrs with RTV.

Just my exp

·
Registered
511 Posts
Like others, I have tried RTV Ultra Copper, but after a few heat cycles, my Jet-Hot coated headers warped and it kept breaking the RTV seal. I dont know about others, but it is a PITA to repair the leaks. This time, I got Remflex Gaskets and I feel MUCH more confident that I no longer have to worry about another leak again. As an extra precation, I am also using Stage 8 locking bolts.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts