Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im lookin to do an lsx swap in a sn95. Not sure what direction to go- either carb with coil on plug msd with box, or carb and distributor, for simplistity reasons, and aluminum, or cast iron block. Which brings me to my next thought, 10 sec daily driver. I wanna use the spray, im thinking 10.60's on the hose with a plate. I wanna hear someones input on my delema, and any suggestions, thanks.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Im lookin to do an lsx swap in a sn95. Not sure what direction to go- either carb with coil on plug msd with box, or carb and distributor, for simplistity reasons, and aluminum, or cast iron block. Which brings me to my next thought, 10 sec daily driver. I wanna use the spray, im thinking 10.60's on the hose with a plate. I wanna hear someones input on my delema, and any suggestions, thanks.
Not sure if cost is a factor for you but, Ive been told by a reputable man that going the carbed LS1 route will cost as much if not more than EFI.

·
Registered
404 Posts
i've got the 750 aed carb victor jr intake and the msd 6010 box and love it....one the simplest setups ive done..

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Really i thought it would be less, accually cost is an factor. as for a 10 second daily driver any input from anybody

·
Registered
234 Posts
Really i thought it would be less, accually cost is an factor. as for a 10 second daily driver any input from anybody
As for 10's The LS1 platform with a 150 shot should be pretty easy

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As for 10's The LS1 platform with a 150 shot should be pretty easy
yea thats what i was thinkin too, what about a tranny i wanna stick with the auto, less room for error, mash it and go ya know

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
your location, daily driver and carb isn't something I'd like.
yea thats a good point ive thought about that alot, winters are pretty wicked but its not set in stone yet so im still thinkin about it

·
Registered
234 Posts
yea thats what i was thinkin too, what about a tranny i wanna stick with the auto, less room for error, mash it and go ya know
Im not too familiar with the durability of the 4l60e trans but i suppose you could always throw a 350 trans behind it ... but then theres no overdrive

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Im not too familiar with the durability of the 4l60e trans but i suppose you could always throw a 350 trans behind it ... but then theres no overdrive
Yea this is true. I think the 4l60e can hold up, either that or th400 with maual valve body dont kno yet.

·
Registered
404 Posts
how bout a 6.0 and a set of 799 heads off a 400hp gto with a comp 224-230 hyd. roller cam from summit(you will have to buy springs and pushrods also) victor jr intake with a 1 inch spacer,750 dp holley,msd 6010 box....turbo 350 with a good 10 conv. (tci..ptc..b&m)327 gears in your 8.8 and 150 shot....i think with this combo and descent traction should'nt have no problem with your goal....

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
how bout a 6.0 and a set of 799 heads off a 400hp gto with a comp 224-230 hyd. roller cam from summit(you will have to buy springs and pushrods also) victor jr intake with a 1 inch spacer,750 dp holley,msd 6010 box....turbo 350 with a good 10 conv. (tci..ptc..b&m)327 gears in your 8.8 and 150 shot....i think with this combo and descent traction should'nt have no problem with your goal....
i like where your goin with this, i think i want to go with iron block because down the road i wanna hose it with 200, see what i can get out of it....or how far.... i already have 373 out back i know i need to upgrade the rear, and suspention for the 200 shot off the line but i wanna go all out with this thing im not holdin anything back i already have my experience with superchargers i want to see what spray is like. total street sleeper. I wanna run those kids pocket on the street ya kno lol The only thing is thats trippin me up is the wiring i guess ill tackle that when i get there

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i like where your goin with this, i think i want to go with iron block because down the road i wanna hose it with 200, see what i can get out of it....or how far.... i already have 373 out back i know i need to upgrade the rear, and suspention for the 200 shot off the line but i wanna go all out with this thing im not holdin anything back i already have my experience with superchargers i want to see what spray is like. total street sleeper. I wanna run those kids pocket on the street ya kno lol The only thing is thats trippin me up is the wiring i guess ill tackle that when i get there
Any thoughts on the front mount dizzy ive been hearing you can use one from a 302 and a gmpp front cover adapter.

·
Registered
404 Posts
dude the msd 6010 box is a true plug and play deal...it doesnt get any easier...i said the 3.27 gear because the broad torque range on that combo and the 10 inch conv. i dont think you'll lose any performance and you'll be able to run it 60 mph all day long....but if you go the carb route have comp cams grind it on a 110......

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Carb vs EFI on an LS1

If you purchase a complete LS1 engine you get most of what you need for EFI already on the motor, you can run the factory injectors/fuel rails/intake manifold/throttle body etc. No need to buy a good carb, intake, ignition box, convert to low-pressure fuel system, distibutor etc...

1) You can retain the factory style hi-pres EFI fuel system (just put a 255lph GSS340 style pump in the tank). So thats one less thing to change.

2) Just send the wiring harness off to get rewired and they will send it back as a 4-wire hookup plug'n'play harness with all your hook ups, gauges, relays etc prelabeled. Very simple. Any shop can do a PCM custom tune for the conversion. Youll spend a total of $400 on what you need here (wiring harness / pcm flash).

3) Your carb setup will likely make slightly less power than a LS6 intake or better on a LS motor. Most people have not had good luck in back to back testing with Edelbrock, GMPP, etc carb style intakes versus LS6 or better Fast intakes.

4) Everything about EFI just makes life simplier. One tune and forget it, better fuel mileage, drivability, adaptation to weather changes /w O2's/MAF/MAP. cold starts etcetc.

5) The plug'n'play EFI wiring harness gives you outputs to the starter, fuel pump & two separate fan relays (i recommend factory LS1 fbody fans and radiator), tach, speedo, water temp, voltage, obd-ii, a/c, check engine light, everything is a direct plug in.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
dude the msd 6010 box is a true plug and play deal...it doesnt get any easier...i said the 3.27 gear because the broad torque range on that combo and the 10 inch conv. i dont think you'll lose any performance and you'll be able to run it 60 mph all day long....but if you go the carb route have comp cams grind it on a 110......
yea thats what ive been hearin aboub the carb set up true plug and play and about that comp cam on a 110 is the way i was goin.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Carb vs EFI on an LS1

If you purchase a complete LS1 engine you get most of what you need for EFI already on the motor, you can run the factory injectors/fuel rails/intake manifold/throttle body etc. No need to buy a good carb, intake, ignition box, convert to low-pressure fuel system, distibutor etc...

1) You can retain the factory style hi-pres EFI fuel system (just put a 255lph GSS340 style pump in the tank). So thats one less thing to change.

2) Just send the wiring harness off to get rewired and they will send it back as a 4-wire hookup plug'n'play harness with all your hook ups, gauges, relays etc prelabeled. Very simple. Any shop can do a PCM custom tune for the conversion. Youll spend a total of $400 on what you need here (wiring harness / pcm flash).

3) Your carb setup will likely make slightly less power than a LS6 intake or better on a LS motor. Most people have not had good luck in back to back testing with Edelbrock, GMPP, etc carb style intakes versus LS6 or better Fast intakes.

4) Everything about EFI just makes life simplier. One tune and forget it, better fuel mileage, drivability, adaptation to weather changes /w O2's/MAF/MAP. cold starts etcetc.

5) The plug'n'play EFI wiring harness gives you outputs to the starter, fuel pump & two separate fan relays (i recommend factory LS1 fbody fans and radiator), tach, speedo, water temp, voltage, obd-ii, a/c, check engine light, everything is a direct plug in.
thanks alot for that info man who is makin the wireing harness and flash for 400 bucks that seems like a good deal and the way to go

1 - 17 of 17 Posts