Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm looking to pick up a motor are there any model years that are better? i'm thinking 02-06 6.0 , do they all come with aluminum heads ? not that i'm using them, going with L92 HEADS but something i could sell ...thanks

·
Registered
404 Posts
i have a 02 and it came with the 317 aluminum heads...and came with the spacer on the flexplate also....

·
Formerly LSNotch
840 Posts
Mine is just like v62go...I think that 02-06 are actually the years that I was recommended, mostly because of the earlier(99-01 1/2 I believe) running the chance of iron heads and some issue??? that were fixed on the later models.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mine is just like v62go...I think that 02-06 are actually the years that I was recommended, mostly because of the earlier(99-01 1/2 I believe) running the chance of iron heads and some issue??? that were fixed on the later models.
awesome ..thank you

·
Formerly LSNotch
840 Posts
No problem! Ask away...I might have the answer if not the other folks will help you.

·
Premium Member
584 Posts
I was just researching this! '02-up is what I want, unless I can find an LQ9. Anyone know a good source of these LSx's? Not having much luck locally.

·
Registered
404 Posts
if i remember correct the 02's and newer have better rod bolts also.....check on ls1tech they have some on there usually....

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Stay away from 99/early 6.0 motors. Some come with iron heads AND some come with a different crankshaft that has a longer flange on the rear that pushes the flexplate out almost a 1/2" and will cause converter to flexplate issues.

·
Formerly LSNotch
840 Posts
Stay away from 99/early 6.0 motors. Some come with iron heads AND some come with a different crankshaft that has a longer flange on the rear that pushes the flexplate out almost a 1/2" and will cause converter to flexplate issues.
There you go! I knew that there were some issues with the early models I just couldn't remember what it was. Thanks Aidan!

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
When I did contemplate on doing an LQ4 swap into my 95, I did acquire an LQ4 outta the local wreckers. Came from a 2003 GMC Savanah. Throttle body to pan with some of the engine wiring and the exhaust manifolds for $700. I forget how many miles were on it tho...not much..compression was 180 across the board.

·
Formerly LSNotch
840 Posts
When I did contemplate on doing an LQ4 swap into my 95, I did acquire an LQ4 outta the local wreckers. Came from a 2003 GMC Savanah. Throttle body to pan with some of the engine wiring and the exhaust manifolds for $700. I forget how many miles were on it tho...not much..compression was 180 across the board.
...and that engine in stock form pushes out about 400hp. Some people say it is cheaper to keep it Ford:rolleyes:

Little by little more and more folks are switching to LS based engines...this is reality!

·
Blame Canada!!!!!!
7,654 Posts
...and that engine in stock form pushes out about 400hp. Some people say it is cheaper to keep it Ford:rolleyes:

Little by little more and more folks are switching to LS based engines...this is reality!
This is why im switching to ls powah! cheaper and easier! Cam and a tune and 450-500 hp is doable! Not cam, heads, pistons, intaker:rofl:,and everything else needed to suport it.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
the motors was rated at that power level from the factory....but it was closer to rwhp rating than flywheel rating.....i had a bone stock ls1 z28 that was rated from the factory at 305 hp but when it was dynoed it made that at the tires....the 6.0 motors makes close to 400 at the flywheel...

·
Formerly LSNotch
840 Posts
And here is why I'll never take Chevy guys at their word. A simple quick Google search yields this:

http://www.jrgmparts.com/GM_Performance_Parts/GM_Parts_Catalog/GM_Crate_Engines/GM_Parts_Crate_Engines/6point0L_LQ4_LQ9_GM_Parts_Crat/6point0l_lq4_lq9_gm_parts_crat.html

300 to 325 is a long way from 400... :bs:

...in stock form of course :rolleyes:
Sorry to hear that you use google for things like this:snore: It is known in the LS side of the house that the LQ4 was underrated by GM. I should have been more specific for the folks that don't know anything about the LS series motors:confused: In actuality it pushes *read* close to 400hp to the flywheel and if it doesn't reach that mark, nothing that a tune can't take care of:leghump:

I said it pushes about 400hp:shakehead

·
Registered
10,681 Posts
friends Z28 also put down 310whp in factory trim to the wheels.

tune and a full exhaust bumped him to 343ish whp.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Just get a stock LS1 add a cam with 5.3 liter heads, runs low 10s with a good tune.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Sorry to hear that you use google for things like this:snore: It is known in the LS side of the house that the LQ4 was underrated by GM. I should have been more specific for the folks that don't know anything about the LS series motors:confused: In actuality it pushes *read* close to 400hp to the flywheel and if it doesn't reach that mark, nothing that a tune can't take care of:leghump:

I said it pushes about 400hp:shakehead
What's wrong with Google? It's just another form of internet searching. Or is there some kind of super magical search feature that gives better info?

Big deal...

I've also heard all the "stories" of under rated this engine, or that engine, from all the fans of every make, including Ford. Just because something is rumored to be true doesn't make it a fact. It is just a rumor. Show me a video of a brand new GM vehicle with this LQ4 engine listed on the window sticker on the dyno making almost 400whp.

I'm not going to believe anything less.

I don't go by what some guy on some website somewhere said they may have done on some dyno...

I provided a link that is from an authorized GM dealer on GM letterhead. If you can show me something that can be verified as coming directly from GM then I'll believe it.

Also if 300 to 325 equals "pushing 400" why not just say it pushes 750? Or why stop there? You could say it pushes 1000?

"It is rumored that NASA is going to use a LSx engine for the next Moon mission."

Now that I've put that out on this website it can be considered a fact?

I'll be waiting for that GM authorized video.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts