Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend has an '04 ZO6 with full exhaust and some other minor bolt-ons... He wants to line-up at the track once I have my car tuned and I've learned to drive it again :) I have a feeling that I'll get smoked with my current setup!

If I were to install a set of TFS Fast As Cast heads, the AFM B31 cam that I've been planning to get, and pulley up the S-trim, I think the tables should be turned, no? Obviously, traction and driving will play a big factor, but driving being equal...

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
My first trip to the track I ran one with my combo below. He had headers and a cold air intake and probably other things I didnt ask. He nosed me by about a half a link, but boy was I pulling on him torwards the end. My car was cutting crappy 1.87 60' and ran a 12.08 @ 118

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
I dont see why you should have any problems kicking his car to the curb. Your stacked in ur sig. Maybe practice launching on the street and maybe get some good tires.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
what does your car run? I would guess the Z06 would be a low 12 high 11 second car with a good driver and traction.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
From what I've read the stock Z06 (my brother wants to buy one and I've did some reading on them (trying to get him to by a Shelby GT500)) runs 11.5 to 11.8. Most running around 11.7 in stock trim so if this friend has some bolt ons I'd think he will run low 11's, so crank up that s-trim.

·
Registered
630 Posts
They don't run 11.50's stock, unless they have a HELL OF A DRIVER.

Most I've seen at the local track run low 12's...

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
From what I've read the stock Z06 (my brother wants to buy one and I've did some reading on them (trying to get him to by a Shelby GT500)) runs 11.5 to 11.8. Most running around 11.7 in stock trim so if this friend has some bolt ons I'd think he will run low 11's, so crank up that s-trim.
Those #s are a little optimistic for a stock Z06. Most folks seem to run mid-low 12s. With sticky tires and good driving high-11s are possible but not the norm.
You can figure with full exhaust, bolt-ons and a tune that car has maybe 400rwhp. I would say with traction mid-high 11s at best.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I think "Len" is thinking of a c6 z06 because those mid 11's are what they run. But this is a c5 Z and they only run mid to low 12's with bolt ons and a good driver with traction.

I think it will be a good close race so if you are really wanting to put it too him just put a smaller pulley on there real quick and make sure you have some good sticky tires! By far the most important factor

·
Registered
444 Posts
A stock C6 Z06 (505hp) can run high 11's, cant remember for sure but fastest was a 11.7 or 11.8 on a stock car

The car in the original post is a C5 which is 405hp stock, high 12's stock, and thats with a really good driver. An exhaust and intake along with a tune really wakes these cars up, but you still have to get it to hook. I'd bet he's mid 12's.

Now if your on the highway watch out :evil:

LOL I type to slow, see above post.

·
Premium Member
2,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I haven't run my car at the track yet simply because I have the original 1986 T-5 in it. I've been waiting for the new T-56 Magnum before doing anything with the tranny. My T-5 shifts smooth as glass so I don't want to blow it up since it's been a great tranny. I run a small 245/45-17 Nitto NT555 Drag Radial 24/7 and that tire is probably what has saved my T-5 since it's not as sticky as a full slick and there is a very slight amount of tire spin on an aggressive street launch. My car keeps up with a friends mid-12 second 'stang and I even start to pull a bit on him at the high end. I'm thinking my car would mph low teens (113-114 mph) at the track as it is now? I have a crappy PMS tune right now (no WB02) so I think there is more to be had with the current combo.

I have a feeling if I installed the TFS FAC heads, AFM B31 cam, and a smaller pulley on the S-trim I would whip that C5 Z easily.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
a 2004 z06 will run between an 11.7 and a 12.4 with a decent driver and tires

a modded car (exhaust and intake) could see between 11.5-12.2 depending on mods, track, weather and the driver

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Chances are he will beat you pretty good with what you have now. Set of heads and cam you'll have the advantage. That is until he puts a cam in it then you could be in trouble again.

Didn't a c6 z06 stock run a 10.999? Thought I remember someone pulling that off?

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
2004 is a c5 z06..... my post shows real numbers not "i think so"

i used to work at a chevy dealership and corvettes are kinda my thing... if you can run anywhere near those numbers you've got a chance

or he could just be a ####ty driver and only manage a 13.6 which ive seen before :shakehead

·
Registered
444 Posts
I have to agree with "El"...I own a C5 and have time slips, my 02 autotragic 2.73 rear gear with a catback and K&N can only run 13.01, and I'm not that bad at the track and have made over 100 passes in my 02 GT

Z06 is a stick and does have 55 more horse than my car, I still think with a good driver and just bolt ons he'll be mid 12's

Most (NOT ALL) vette guys talk a lot but have rarely, if ever been to a track. They paid more so it must be fast LOL

After owning a low 11 sec GT, if I'm out with vette I'll never take a race from a mustang. I bought it because its a GREAT driving car that will still be worth some money in a few years, not because I thought it was fast.

·
Registered
862 Posts
i have a buddy with a bone stock 405hp '02 Z06. he went a [email protected] in it. a couple hours later i went a [email protected] in it. that was with a [email protected] in the 1/8 mile and a low 1.9 second 60'. with bolt ons, traction and a good driver id think a 405hp C5 Z06 could be high 11 second capable.

it should be a close race with what you have now. and if you dont run low 11s with a vortech and FAC heads something is wrong. a good friend of mine with every bolt on known to man on his 93 cobra (but a bone stock motor from TB to pan) with a s-trim (2.95" blower and 7" crank pulleys, power pipe making 12lbs of boost) went [email protected] w/ mid 1.5 sec 60' times and [email protected] in the eighth.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
ive got a buddy with a 02 z06. the mods are texas speed ported stock heads,cam,long tubes,full exhaust,intake. 6.9 n/a with drag radials

·
Registered
7,198 Posts
There were 3 Z06's parked next to me at Island dragway a few months ago. The fastest has exhaust and MT drag radials and got his car to go 11.8.

He didn't have a chance against me....

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I imagine this z06 is putting around 400hp to the ground. I know you're concerned about breaking your T5, but many are running in the 11s, some faster. As concerned as you are, vette guys are usually worse. They either think their car is a show car or a race car, maybe both :p Does he wash and wax this puppy all the time? Has he ever taken it to the track? I bet with a head swap, you'll be in the area where a tune will determine whether or not your block lives. I think the FAC heads would be an excellent choice, but with an RPM, I'd be willing to bet the cross section on those heads in going to be bigger than your intake. Sell the RPM and get a supervic EFI, port match to those FAC and you have a top end that you could keep, even if you got a dart block stroker later on down the road. Don't skimp on your tune or tires, you'll need a full slick with all that power. There's a very good possibility that you'll lose in the 60' with a 245 non drag radial. Do you still have the front sway bar and battery under the hood? You need to go practice at the strip, cutting a good light can make a bigger difference than those heads, even if you ET higher.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts