Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
i used to run nothing but mobil one 5w-30 and a motorcraft filter. Those filters are the same exact thing as a purolater pure one filter. Its just got ford stamped on it. So ill be sticking with that, but after some research im finally switching to red line 30w race oil

·
Registered
324 Posts
Why 20w50?

·
Registered
324 Posts
What do you run ?
That's what im trying to figure out. I have a new dart 363 from fordstrokers and it has a pt88 turbo on it so I need to know a good start up oil then a oil from then on to use. I'm going to start it without the turbo first.

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
10W30 synthetic.
I figure with a turbo, you want something that is heat stable since it is running thru those superhot bearings
Erich

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
I have run 15w40 and 20w50 in my car for the last 2 years when applicable, but after doing some research I'm not sure thicker oil is better because thinner oil drains faster/better/easier. This is good for oil trying to get from the heads to the bearings and getting the oil out of ur turbo. I figured thinner oil was bad cause it breaks down easier with the added heat.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
What are your bearing clearances? I run 10w30. Running 20w-50 is like pushing molasses through a straw, unless you have wide bearing clearances it isn't needed.

·
Jersey True Street Guy
3,195 Posts
20w 50 Valvoline conventional race oil per the advice of my engine builder.

Ran royal purple before that.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts