Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have gotten to the final stage with my car where I can finally add a power adder. This has been years in the works and I am glad to be at this point. That said, I need some guidance on what turbo to use. I am running a 408w with SCAT fully forged internals 9:1 compression. I plan on using a single turbo setup through a blow-thu carb. I really need some advice on what turbo will work well for my setup. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am hoping to get around 600rwhp but in the end I want a turbo that will work the best with my motor horsepower number is secondary.

thanks in advance for the advice

·
Registered
691 Posts
I like my Y2K 88mm turbo. Its on a 428"SBF. A BW S480 would be a great choice. We really need to know more details about the combo, like how high you rev, street or strip....

Its a big cube motor, so you need a big turbo. And you should be well well over 600RWHP. Either way, a T6 series turbo is absoluty needed.

·
Registered
169 Posts
You could make your goal with a 70mm turbo with ease. Call up Reed at Supernatural Turbo and talk to him about it, if you wanna go the easy route get a GT55 or GT47-88 and plan for 1000+.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
im building my engine at the moment.. same as yours 9:1 comp 408..
So i take it your pistons are -33cc probes? Scat h beams (chevy big end) and scat forged 4.00 stroke crank?

·
Registered
219 Posts
i run a gt47-88 t4 based. on my 408 with a blow thru carb. your running a little more compression than i am, (im at 8.5-1) anyway with a set off 225 cnc pro comp heads i made 750+ thru a c4 without a locked converter.

i like the t4 cause it is a snappy bitch on the street, and still has no prob going 150+

·
Registered
195 Posts
I am running a 408W with 9:1, I have been running the BW S480 but just upgraded to the 83mm wheel. I just put the upgraded turbo on and do not have any drive time on it yet, it should spool up just as fast but is able to make 70-100 more HP. Should be about the same money as the S480, I just upgraded because a rock went through the turbo. I have been very happy with the BW S480's performance. I have made 850rwhp on the dyno at 19 psi with a rich tune and have pushed it to 23 psi at it pulls like crazy. Good luck.

·
Registered
669 Posts
408w and turbo

I am working on the chassis on my 93 notch and will be doing the 408w alsoin the very near future. I like the S480 option but what do you guys think about a twin turbo setup on the 408w?

7.00fox has a set of S357 with the following specs, do you think these would be enough for the 408w?

Wheel Dimensions: Compressor: 56.9 mm inducer, 81.3 mm exducer. Turbine: 76.2 mm inducer, 67.5 mm exducer.
Housing A/R: Compressor: .55, with 4.0" hose-type inlet, and 3.0" hose-type, 90 degree discharge. Turbine: .91, with 'T4-style', divided entry, and 4.21" v-band discharge

Didn't mean to hijack your thread, just trying to determine if I want to do the S480 or twins...

Jeff

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
I am working on the chassis on my 93 notch and will be doing the 408w alsoin the very near future. I like the S480 option but what do you guys think about a twin turbo setup on the 408w?

7.00fox has a set of S357 with the following specs, do you think these would be enough for the 408w?

Wheel Dimensions: Compressor: 56.9 mm inducer, 81.3 mm exducer. Turbine: 76.2 mm inducer, 67.5 mm exducer.
Housing A/R: Compressor: .55, with 4.0" hose-type inlet, and 3.0" hose-type, 90 degree discharge. Turbine: .91, with 'T4-style', divided entry, and 4.21" v-band discharge

Didn't mean to hijack your thread, just trying to determine if I want to do the S480 or twins...

Jeff
twins=more piping, more heat, more troubleshooting, more money, use more space all for the same results. 600hp is 600hp whether it's a single or twin turbo set up. Perhaps maybe I'm practical and would like to save as much money as I can in whatever I do.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Turbo size will depend on 1 power you want 2 how fast you want to spool and 3 do you want to make more power in the future without buying a new turbo. A 408ci will spool a jurnal bearing turbo well up to a 91mm with a billet or custom light intake impeller and ball-bearing you can go as far as 94mm with quick spool. Most all turbos from 70mm and up will do 600hp easy. (BUT WITH A 408CI ANY SMALLER THAN AN 80MM TURBO WILL OVER SPIN AND EVENTUALLY DESTROY THE TURBO). If want to street drive this a lot and want a supercharger like boost response than go with an 80mm with about 8-12 psi of boost and there. If want to drag race it and want to be able to make 1200+hp at some point than go 88mm and bigger.

Now if want very quick spool than go with twin turbos with ball-bearing at say 57-67mm and it will run just like a supercharger but with full boost by say 2500-3000 rpms under load.

I got a guy with a 370ci with a 76mm running 5.50s-5.60s in 1/8th mile drag racing. He makes about 825 at the wheels. He spools very quick. I run twin 67s on a 393w. Was on a 331 and they spooled fast. Have not run with 393w yet. (I am a Precision Turbo dealer by the way) Been using turbos and superchargers for 12 years. Love them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts