Ford Mustang Forums banner

what transmission?

2K views 24 replies 12 participants last post by  Quick Time 
#1 ·
I know it is a common question, but Ill ask anyways.
My AOD gave up fairly quickly. To make it work and last would need a rebuild, input shaft, valve body, and a bigger cooler.
To swap could/would require a converter, crossmember, bellhousing, shifter, driveshaft, or more.
My car weighs 2860 without me and still has a stock block. I know a C4 would probably be the easiest but the 2-3 shift slip is really common. I also want to be prepared for when I split the stock block.
I have a budget around $2K. What is my best option?

#2 ·
The 2-3 flare in a C4 is an easy fix with a decent servo and a kit. They are cheap and easy to work on and parts are readily available. They are light and can be made to handle plenty of power.

#3 ·
I would stay clear of the C4 with a turbo car personally. I dont know much about AOD's but if you have a 2k budget you should be able to make that thing stout!

If your swapping I would do a TH400, cheap and pretty darn strong even in stock form.

#5 ·
I could make the AOD work, but its heavy and I dont really need OD. I can drive anywhere in town and keep it under 35mph. Gotta love Hicktown, USA. LOL
"If only" or "what if" is what I want to avoid.

#9 ·
Got a call today from a friend that has a stock C4 that has just be rebuilt I can get really cheap and there is a race next weekend I have attended the last 3 years.
So tempting but not worth hearing my wife say "you just bought one". Guess Ill just be the pit bish this year.

#10 ·
there is nothing wrong with a c4 if you are not making crazy HP and torque. I have seen them in 1000 hp cars but they dont last a long time. 600 hp and down they are great, some get away with more and they last. But you got to keep the heat out of them and they dont hold a lot of fluid so you got to get a big ass cooler and deep pan. mine has been in our car for 3 years with no issues at all.

#11 ·
Any of these 1000hp cars turbo'd?

Plenty local guys do great with them in cars in the 600-1000hp range (n20 cars) but all the turbo cars I have seen with them dont last long at all with any power where a th400, glide, 4L80 last ALOT longer.

Nothing wrong with them your right, they will work, just be prepaird to freshin them up ALOT more!

#14 ·
Enough said, C4 is not what I need. Thanks for the input.
Chris I agree. I think heat was the main thing that killed my AOD because I only have a small cooler. Heat will always be an issue with a turbo car.
Found a local parts hoarder that has a glide with an adapter plate. Gonna check it but I am for sure going th400 or glide.

#15 ·
I did my complete glide swap for under 2000. Bought a core 100$ rebuild with Kevlar band and a transbrake valve body from ptc,like 400$. Bte input shaft,hub,and street strip converter for like 750$,custom ds like 150$ and then I already had a jw the wheel so I found a brand new ultra bell second hand for 150$. Then bought the little stuff for summit. Shifter,trans cooler,ect. Glide and never look back. For a lot of street miles and well over 30 passes the last year on it and its never missed a beat. I'll be in valdosta next weekend to so if u see a clean white cobra on gray fr500's say hey.

#23 ·
i have ran or owned c4 cars with turbo's no problem at all and they all made over 600rwhp but i was using dynamic mighty mite trans. Is that the reason they lasted with no problems i don't know. I have ran plenty of powerglides and in my opinion if the car is making really good power and you are doing it on small tires or drag radials thats the way to go. Now going in the car for 2013 is a 2 speed turboglide. I don't know if it will be any better, but everyone says so. I am going to try it and if not the glide is laying here in the shop.

#24 ·
I am on a stock block and small power for now. I had a small cooler without a fan with the AOD, so heat probably killed it.
I expect the stock block not lasting long and want a trans that will work with the next bullet. I have no idea what it will be but I dream big with a small wallet. LOL. Hopefully something I can build a kit with twin T70s

#25 ·
i personnally have had great luck with dynamic with the c4 stuff but thats just my experience. Now I did run as big of trans cooler i could get with -6 braided lines on it but this was on the street and track. Car had a 9" 4000 stall also with no issues. I would do c4 or th400

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.