Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well like the title says.

I have a MMR built 2v, t76 turbo and so on. Car hasn’t been on the dyno yet still trying to figure out what trans to run and get my fuel system done. Car will see street from time to time and prob hardly ever be on the highway. It will be trailered to the track and so on. I’m trying to figure out what is the best way for the trans. Im hoping to be in the high 600hp range once I’m tuned. So with that said what do you guys think or what do you run?

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
how much will the car weigh??
if your going to keep it around 6-700 i would run a C4
if the car is light, and your going to up the power(we all do) run a glide... spend the money on a good converter.. Ultimate Converter talk to Lenny..

·
Registered
5,828 Posts
TH400 so you have room to grow. It wont take long to outgrow and kill the C4 at that power level. With the TH400 you won't have to worry about breaking the trans and your really not buying anything to swap it that you wont have to buy for the C4.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I like a good Th400, strong and with taller gears you can run it like a P-Glide with overdrive.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im really not sure what the car weighs. Im thinking prob 3300? idk i have taken alot out of the car but i put a cage in and such. but all the front susp is done no rear seat, took out all the padding and foam behind the interior parts and such when i did the cage. its getting kirkey seats to this winter.

Anyways I was thinking C4 but i guess they don’t like the 3rd gear abuse and that’s the week link from what i have heard. Didn’t really want to go the th400 but i have heard lots of good things about them to.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
TH400.

C4's and turbo car's don't usually mix for long.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Video was taken a couple weeks ago...car just setting in garage with broke transmission. From all of my reading on the glide.. is that it is more for light high hp cars. Our cars need a 3 speed. Seems like some guys have good luck with the 4r, but have read they don't last long under heavy hp.
Most of the higher 700+ cars swap to the th400. I do plan to swap in a th400 and be done with transmission problems.

·
Registered
883 Posts
ive broken a dozen C4's over the years. i woulnt consider one for a drag car at any power level. i hate them. sadly chevy trans are better. glide for big power and th400 for less.

·
Registered
883 Posts
built 4r's can be decent. but if you are going higher at any point they wont take it.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ya I have heard both things on the 4R. They either last or they dont. it seems like the ones that last will last a long time. How much of a pain in the ass it to get the th400 in? and is the extra waight an issue?

if for 6-700 a glide would be the best then i guessing?

thanks for all the replys as well.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Don't get me wrong a P-Glide is a very good tranny but the way they make the Glide stronger is with TH400 parts. If you build a Glide and a TH400 to handle the same amount of power the Th400 will cost you much less money. The Glide will have less power trane loss and will weigh a little less but the TH400 will cost less just as strong and if your car is not pretty lite than the 3 speed can give you better streetablity and better track times. I have the perfect car for the Glide 2,300 lbs with big turbo making 900+ rwhp but I will be switching to a TH400 next year. Good luck with your choice both trannys should do well and last a long time. You can find some good info on the subject over at the http://www.turbomustangs.com

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Have any of you heard about the thrust bearing issue with the mod motors and the auto trans? I have been reading about it im just not sure how commin this is?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts