Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys,
looking for oponions on trannys for a 363 with a turbo. i would like a overdrive, but may not "need" one. i make a few 90 miles runs during the summer @ about 80mph, nad plan on running a 28" tire. i make 1 225 mile one way trip on the interstate @ 80mph also, in august( 90*+)

really been looking @ a th400, and then was enlightened on a 4L80e with a manual valve body. this way i will have OD, and have the strength of a th400.

i seen the freddy brown will do about 1200 hp, but 950 tq on there aod. and then i get confused with all the lock up/ non lock up stuff.

really looking for the best bang for the buck. i WANT full manual vb with a break. and a converter thats capable of cruising down the interstate @ 80mph without slipping a ton or overheating.

sorry for the long post, i think you guys know what i mean. i want the best of both worlds. and it seems the 4l80 is the cheapest way to get there.
although, maybe i dont need the OD, any input on guys without it, let me know you road trips, and rpm, mileage, etc.....
thanks for any input!

·
Registered
644 Posts
With the way you can gear a car with that power you can deal with no OD. FWIW I plan to run a TH400 in my true street type car with a big bore 347 and billet S480.

·
Registered
295 Posts
AODE here with non electronic full manual valve body with a brake.....AODE's are stronger than an AOD....Something to do with the input shaft i think.

·
Registered
5,219 Posts
I have been researching the hell out of autos for my 860 rwhp Fox. I don't daily drive it by any means, but I still want OD.

After talking to LOTS of people and builders, I have decided on a Freddy Brown AOD. They'll handle 1200hp and are a direct bolt in.

I've decided on non-lockup as I've learned that a good ($$$), efficient converter like UCC that I'll be using, doesn't slip and lose as much power and mpg as a cheaper unit. Plus non lock up is stronger and less stuff to worry about breaking.

I'm going AOD, non-lock up with switch-activated OD, trans brake and SFI bell. Trans alone is about $4400 with all the options. Figure at least $1000 for a good converter and then extra for a trans cooler, shifter etc...

From what I've learned, the 4r70w won't be beneficial in a high hp car. Only benefit on a lower hp car is lock up. 4r70w has the 2.84 first gear vs AOD 2.40. I would MUCH prefer the AOD gear set, especially with a turbo. 2.84 is just way too steep.

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
I run the Freddy Brown AOD 4tsb. I have it in for over 5 years and never had any problems with it. The car is street driven everywhere. I run 3.25 gears with the od and 26"tires. My engine dynoed 787rwhp at 15psi through the non locking aod running out of fuel (e85). I have since done some engine, fuel system and new intercooler/cold side piping upgrades. I only had it dynoed when I first put it together. I'm sure the combo is making over 800rwhp at 15psi now. The turbo is good for 20-25psi. I ran it up to 19psi on the street. :)

Make sure you by a quality convertor. I run a Pro Torque 9 1/2"and couldn't be happier.

Freddie and Pro Torque are local to me. The are both EXCELLENT to deal with.

·
Registered
996 Posts
I would only recommend F\B performance for a AOD build. Fred has really
mastered the AOD and their weak points. I personally run his valve body
and can say the shifts are lightning quick. Also Fred will dyno test every
one he ships out.

As converters go there is multiple company's out there. Many good ones,
you just hope they get the stall right the first time. I personally run a
PTC 9" in mine. It worked so good in my C-4 I sent it to PTC to modify
it to run in my bulletproof AOD. The two have been flaw-less.

I encourage you to research Randy Stewart. Runs a F\B AOD and PTC
converter and drives his fox over 1000-miles to the track to run true-street
NMRA. Clicks off 8-sec pass at will, drives it home. Arguably the fastest AOD
fox in the country right now, duplicating that drivetrain you cant go wrong.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have been researching the hell out of autos for my 860 rwhp Fox. I don't daily drive it by any means, but I still want OD.

After talking to LOTS of people and builders, I have decided on a Freddy Brown AOD. They'll handle 1200hp and are a direct bolt in.

I've decided on non-lockup as I've learned that a good ($$$), efficient converter like UCC that I'll be using, doesn't slip and lose as much power and mpg as a cheaper unit. Plus non lock up is stronger and less stuff to worry about breaking.

I'm going AOD, non-lock up with switch-activated OD, trans brake and SFI bell. Trans alone is about $4400 with all the options. Figure at least $1000 for a good converter and then extra for a trans cooler, shifter etc...

From what I've learned, the 4r70w won't be beneficial in a high hp car. Only benefit on a lower hp car is lock up. 4r70w has the 2.84 first gear vs AOD 2.40. I would MUCH prefer the AOD gear set, especially with a turbo. 2.84 is just way too steep.
i remember seeing that tranny good to 1200hp, but only 950tq?? i was under the impression if a car made 1200 horse, you would be over 950 tq....? idk, just thinking out loud.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
T400 here, with a 3.08 gear and a 28in. tire its like the poor mans overdrive.
what are we looking @ money wise for a th400 with the jw bell and converter to take the desired horsepower.......

·
Registered
5,219 Posts
i remember seeing that tranny good to 1200hp, but only 950tq?? i was under the impression if a car made 1200 horse, you would be over 950 tq....? idk, just thinking out loud.
Depends on the combo. I make 860rwhp but only 725tq. Seems the higher hp you go, tq seems to fall behind. This is with a blower car. 1200hp turbo will be WELL over 1000tq.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
anyone know a good company that can do a th400?

if i decide to do a ford tranny i think it would be freddy brown.

also, anyone know about a guy called silverfox on here? he is suppossed to build a good overdrive tranny..........

again, thanks for all the input guys!

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
anyone know a good company that can do a th400?

if i decide to do a ford tranny i think it would be freddy brown.

also, anyone know about a guy called silverfox on here? he is suppossed to build a good overdrive tranny..........

again, thanks for all the input guys!

i got my TH400 through Mike's ultimate here in California...

·
Registered
780 Posts
If you want a killer trans, Freddy Brown aod all the way. My car currently has one and 9.5" pro torque convertor as well. I love the 2 and I cant get over how well it holds up.
Stangjumper is local to me and his car is no joke. Def a beast, his car is no light weight either and that tranny takes a beating. Anyone who wants to really drive there car further then the local gas station, thats the only way to go.

·
Registered
94 Posts
what are we looking @ money wise for a th400 with the jw bell and converter to take the desired horsepower.......
It cost me around $1500 total for everything but I built the trans myself.

Check this place out....

TH400 Transmission Page

This guy has a very good rep in the GM world, he can fit the bell on for you.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Extreme automatics sells a th400 for 1500 I believe that come with a 2 year warranty and a 350$ dollar no matter what kind of condition warranty after the 2 years expires.he will send it back as new for that price. He is a big turbo Buick guy but I think he has some of the fastest 400s out there check out his site it's extreme automatics.com he does all kinds of transmissions a stand up guy and really stands behind his work. Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thanks guys! lots of options here!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts