Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
couldn't quite get the clutch aligned swapping the motor in with the bell/tranny in place, so I'm going to try getting the whole fool thing in at once.

my questions (I'll try to be brief)

what to do with clutch cable? just undo it at the bell and let it hang? is there any adjustment procedure when re-installing? I have the factory quadrant, and have never touched it.

when actually physically swinging the motor+tranny together, can I get away with just using the motor lift plate(s) and just lifting the motor but with the tranny/bell/clutch installed at the same time?

won't it lean really badly if just lifted by the motor?

How would you recommend I jack the car? Right now just the driver side is lifted with the front wheel a few inches off the ground.

I assume the tranny crossmember at least needs to be removed prior to installation.

please fill in the details for me as I hope to do this soon. thanks! (like tonight)

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
You will not have to adjust your clutch if it is all factory equipment. Just hook it back up. Then do the clutch adjustment procedure in the owners manual.
Pull the cable all the way out of the way if you are pulling the tranny and engine at the same time.

You'll need another person to help you do the engine/tranny pull. When I did it, I jacked the front of the car about 2 feet off the ground. When you pull the engine it will need to be tilted quite a bit so the tranny can dip down and clear the tunnel. I had one friend guiding the tailshaft as I jacked up and moved back. As the engine was clearing the engine compartment my friend grabbed the tail of the tranny and leveled it with the engine and we backed both out of the way of the engine compartment.

Yes, remove the tranny crossmember.

Good luck,
Casey

1 - 3 of 3 Posts