Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've been running bridgestone potenza's up front and dunlop sp5000's out back on my pony wheels and it's time for some new rubber...

the 225front/ 245rear combo seemed to work alright but i think i may want to push it a little more..

i was thinking about maybe throwing a spacer on the front and seeing if i can run 245s all around. it seems a 245/50/16 is one of the only sizes offered in a 16inch wheel for some really good tires...

as far as a "max performance" tire i've looked at simply replacing the tires with the equivalent from bridgestone and dunlop, and i'f looked at the nitto 555's.

however i wanted something better for the road course..

i looked into some yokohama competition DOT approved tires from the tire rack...

are any of you guys running a dot approved competition tire, if so which ones??

just curious to see if there's ones i'm missing in my search.

think i can fit 245s all around if i put a spacer on the front wheels???
the car sits rather low, and i've got about -1.5 neg camber.

thanks guys.
matt

·
Registered
249 Posts
I have 275's all the way around on my 17x9's. It's hard to say wether 245's will fit the front of your car, you'll just have to try your rear wheels on the front of your car for a few miles.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I am using Khumo Ecsta MX's in the 275/40/17 flavoure

·
Registered
705 Posts
I run the nitto 555r's (not drag radial) they are great tire they come with more tread depth and 300 treadwear so they will last a bit longer. The only other tire I considered was the Kumho MX it is a faster tire on road course but will not last as long with 200 treadwear. Those race tires are awesome but i drive to much to be able to afford them.

Good luck,
Jay

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
jaysch302 said:
I run the nitto 555r's (not drag radial) they are great tire they come with more tread depth and 300 treadwear so they will last a bit longer. The only other tire I considered was the Kumho MX it is a faster tire on road course but will not last as long with 200 treadwear. Those race tires are awesome but i drive to much to be able to afford them.

Good luck,
Jay

i thought the 555r's were the drag tire?? i was unaware they made an auto-x version..

how are the regular 555s??

matt

·
Registered
391 Posts
I'm running Avon Tech M500. Alan McCrispin (sp) rode with me this past weekend and thought I had a sticky tire on untill he got out and looked. Thought they were softer than Azienis and said they felt as sticky also. Avon also makes a Tech R and Ra for autocross and open track. both come in 225-16 but not 245.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
96TennGT said:
I'm running Avon Tech M500. Alan McCrispin (sp) rode with me this past weekend and thought I had a sticky tire on untill he got out and looked. Thought they were softer than Azienis and said they felt as sticky also. Avon also makes a Tech R and Ra for autocross and open track. both come in 225-16 but not 245.
i really have my eyes on the yokohama advan ao32r's.

they have a 225, 245, and 255 sizes and a hard and soft compound.. i'm going to see if i can run the 245 up front with a spacer and i think i may do a 245front and 255 rear if the front fits..

matt

·
Registered
5,617 Posts
matt'sdrag95 said:
no 16" sizes... i looked at them as well.

what about the nt01's?? they have a 245/50/16 as the only 16" size.

http://nittotire.com/tires_nt01.asp

matt

A guy at Road America the other week had a set on his Mustang. He said he liked them, and they lasted a long time. His only crevet was they didn't stick like other r-comps. I took his word, as he's one of those guys that is at events every week and has 3 track cars. Also, for an apple/oranges comparison, my full weight sorta preped 2000 GT was notably faster through the Carosole at RA than his prepped, gutted track car (prep, driving style, etc figure in there though).

·
Registered
19 Posts
jfranci3 said:
A guy at Road America the other week had a set on his Mustang. He said he liked them, and they lasted a long time. His only crevet was they didn't stick like other r-comps. I took his word, as he's one of those guys that is at events every week and has 3 track cars. Also, for an apple/oranges comparison, my full weight sorta preped 2000 GT was notably faster through the Carosole at RA than his prepped, gutted track car (prep, driving style, etc figure in there though).
I ran 275/40/17 BFG KD's all around. They lasted 16 days of track (200 Treadwear)

Now I am runnung 275/40/17 Nitto 555RII. They appear they will last about 8 days of track (100 Treadwear)

Next I plan on using Nitto NT-01 w/ same 100 Treadwear. I would consider any 'R compound tire w/ 100 treadwear to be an introductory type of R tire. It will give plenty of feedback, make some noise and last a long time.

·
Registered
50 Posts
my choices......

I'm currently running Falken RT615's in 275 40 17 size, and it's the stickiest tire I've used to date. It's only 200 treadwear, and I have yet to see how long they will wear over the long term. They are noticeably stickier than the Kumho Ecsta MX's I've used before, and just as predictable at the limit. The RT615's do do come in 16" sizes, but they do seem to have a rather tall sidewall compared to other tires of the same dimensions. If you're looking for a longer wearing tire, the MX's are real grippy and last a good amount of time.

·
Registered
249 Posts
matt'sdrag95 said:
i really have my eyes on the yokohama advan ao32r's.

they have a 225, 245, and 255 sizes and a hard and soft compound.. i'm going to see if i can run the 245 up front with a spacer and i think i may do a 245front and 255 rear if the front fits..

matt

Try to keep the same size front and rear, if you plan to track/autoX you will need to rotate your tires or you risk killing the fronts pretty quick.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
mtbkr3 said:
I'm currently running Falken RT615's in 275 40 17 size, and it's the stickiest tire I've used to date. It's only 200 treadwear, and I have yet to see how long they will wear over the long term. They are noticeably stickier than the Kumho Ecsta MX's I've used before, and just as predictable at the limit. The RT615's do do come in 16" sizes, but they do seem to have a rather tall sidewall compared to other tires of the same dimensions. If you're looking for a longer wearing tire, the MX's are real grippy and last a good amount of time.
my girlfriend has falkens on her 318ti bmw in a 225/17 front, 245/17rear and they work great on her car... however it's a 4banger and not a 400hp v8.

i don't want a street tire. i've never seen any street tires perform as well as the tires i have on here now, but they're definately not enough.

i expect only getting 1 summer out of the tires, so treadwear is not a big deal... actually, the lower the milage rating the stickier they should be, which would be great.

matt

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
92MNstanger said:
Try to keep the same size front and rear, if you plan to track/autoX you will need to rotate your tires or you risk killing the fronts pretty quick.

GOOD IDEA... maybe i can run 245s all around...... hmmm

going to have to find out.

thanks,
matt

·
Registered
918 Posts
I have autocrossed on the Nitto NT555 streets several times and the Hoosier A3S05. My opinion of the Nitto is that it is a great tire BUT it is more suited for the person who needs to drive many street miles and only autocrosses occasionally. If I were to buy a dual purpose tire that would see much autocross and many street miles I would get the latest, greatest Falken Azenis or maybe the Hankook Ventus. It should go without saying that the A3S05 requires another set of wheels and is not to be used on the street. It also seems to chunk when it gets many subsequent autocross runs with little time between so I would be apprehensive about using it on a track day or something.

Definitely run the same size tire all the way around.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts