Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
From what I've researched, as far as suspension goes, there seems to be very few amount of inexpensive suspension bolt ons that can be done to a 94-98 Mustang Vert. From my understanding these are the bolt ons that will produce the most significant improvements to my car's handling:

MM PH Bar
MM Coilovers
MM Subframe Connectors
MM Strut Bar
MM Plates
MM K Member
& a good set of tires.....

is there anything thats missing from that list that would greatly improve my cars handling? And that ISNT over $1500k in price?

·
Registered
488 Posts
If you want to improve handling with minimal cash outlay: alignment with cc plates, tires, shocks/struts. Right there, you're close to $1500...

SFC's I think most would consider "mandatory", but to do them right (weld in, tweak to conform to front/rear subs, seam weld etc) ain't cheap, unless you have some fabrication skills and don't have to pay hourly rates for someone qualified to do the job.

btw, if you do some searching and reading, you'll more likely find a plan that is YOURS, not someone else's opinion.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not sure I would use a bolt on SFCs. I would look into a torque are.
Why not? Whats the downside to SFC's? And whats the purpose of a torque arm? Dont the SFC and PHB do what the torque arm does?

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you want to improve handling with minimal cash outlay: alignment with cc plates, tires, shocks/struts. Right there, you're close to $1500...

SFC's I think most would consider "mandatory", but to do them right (weld in, tweak to conform to front/rear subs, seam weld etc) ain't cheap, unless you have some fabrication skills and don't have to pay hourly rates for someone qualified to do the job.
Well the $1500 price tag was in reference to "per bolt on" for example coilovers cost about $1500......I wouldn't like to spend more than $1500 for one thing. And yeah unfortunately most of these parts will be installed by a shop, especiall the SFC...

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Why not? Whats the downside to SFC's? And whats the purpose of a torque arm? Dont the SFC and PHB do what the torque arm does?
SFC = sub frame connector it ties the front and rear sub frames in. I am not even going to go into what a TA does but SFC and PHB dont do the same thing LOL.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Can I expect drastic handling improvements with this package:

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/iwwida.pvx?;item?item_no=MM-MMTASS3 1&comp=LRS

and a set of HR SS springs and full length subframe connectors?
I dunno about drastic, but rear grip will improve a great deal. With that kit, you'll need different springs for the rear, though. Don't just slap in a set of springs that you THINK will work. Call Maximum Motorsports and ask them what springs/dampers will work well with that kit.

Subframe connectors are a must. Bolt-in models are worthless. They need to be welded in to be effective.

With that kit, you'll have more grip in the back, which means your front end will loose grip first. It'll understeer even more, but at least you'll be able to put the power down better coming out of the corner.

You're at the start of a VERY long journey...

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As far as springs go, I plan on doing 450/350 on a coilover setup, I just stated HR-SS springs for a temporary setup, until I piece the MM coilovers together.

Edited for ya..
dude tell me about it, at times i tell myself

"do i even wanna start all this?" i am planning on buying a house in 2009-2010..... but i mean come on, my salary is only so much.....

sometimes i really hate that i have such an expensive hobby >_<

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
"do i even wanna start all this?" i am planning on buying a house in 2009-2010..... but i mean come on, my salary is only so much.....

sometimes i really hate that i have such an expensive hobby >_<
As someone who's still going down this path (I need a new set of $900 race tires, along with $1000 front struts. A second set of tires for the rain, along with another set of wheels wouldn't be a bad idea. And then my brake pads are getting think -- that's another $200...) I can tell you that right now, you need to ask yourself some serious questions.

First off, what's more important, your hobby or your houwse and allocate your money accordingly. When I was saving for my house, I pretty much halted all work on the car.

Second, what do you REALLY want to do? If you want to just get out on a race track and drive a fast car, there are much more economical ways of doing that compared to a Mustang. As popular as the car is, and as much as I love my American Iron car, there are faster, cheaper cars out there to get your go-fast kicks in.

If part of the enjoyment is taking a mediocre (or even poor,) car like a Mustang and making it better, be aware that it's not easy and it's not cheap. I've been building/tweaking my car for over 10 years and it's not anywhere near being done yet.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Let me tell you the purpose of why I even bought this car. First off, I dont even like american cars, lol.... the purpose of the purchase was to improve my credit (again, for my ambition to buy a house). I got up to a 15k loan with 20% investment coming from my part. I couldnt find a car that could satisfy me in most areas of what I would do with the car so I landed on a cobra vert because

1. They make great power for the money compared to most new cars
2. I was already somewhat familiar with them because my ex g/f had a 97 GT
3. SN95 verts look awesome
4. Lots of aftermarket support
5. Inexpensive
6. They hold their resell value very well, when maintained properly

My real love is for imports, hence my alias, and the truth, my little 4 cylinder turbo 1991 240sx out performs my cobra in everyway possible. 240sx's have amazing handling and I think 50/50 weight distrubution (or damn close to it) their famous sr20 motors make insane amounts of power on a stock block, and theres TONS of aftermarket support for them. Plus when it comes to handling IRS > Live Axel. Not to mention how insanely cheap 240sx chassis run for......So yeah, I do feel like I'm in a delimna, but I hate having to put my passion on a hault, my life seems to be becoming REALLY freakin boring due to this issue....

·
Registered
488 Posts
^That makes less sense than your suspension questions...but, whatever floats your boat, another Corral thread comes to life...;)

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
^That makes less sense than your suspension questions...but, whatever floats your boat, another Corral thread comes to life...;)
Well maybe to you due to your lack of reading comprehension or communcation skills? But my initial purposes of the thread was to find out any other inexpensive suspension component that improves my car's handling aside from the one's I mentioned, and you know what? I actually did find out about another one because of this thread, torque arm! :) I didnt know about that one...... Im experienced with IRS components, not live axel :(

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
You're not exactly heading down the right path if you want advice. You are insulting some of the people that will give you the best advice and point you in the right direction.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
My real love is for imports, hence my alias, and the truth, my little 4 cylinder turbo 1991 240sx out performs my cobra in everyway possible. 240sx's have amazing handling and I think 50/50 weight distrubution (or damn close to it) their famous sr20 motors make insane amounts of power on a stock block, and theres TONS of aftermarket support for them. Plus when it comes to handling IRS > Live Axel. Not to mention how insanely cheap 240sx chassis run for......So yeah, I do feel like I'm in a delimna, but I hate having to put my passion on a hault, my life seems to be becoming REALLY freakin boring due to this issue....
Didn't think the 240 came with an SR20DE or DET for that matter (in the states).

·
Registered
488 Posts
Well maybe to you due to your lack of reading comprehension or communcation skills? But my initial purposes of the thread was to find out any other inexpensive suspension component that improves my car's handling aside from the one's I mentioned, and you know what? I actually did find out about another one because of this thread, torque arm! :) I didnt know about that one...... Im experienced with IRS components, not live axel :(

No, I don't think my comprehension capability has much bearing on my perception, as I've actually been able to add the neccessary vowels and punctuation to interpret what you've posted. The bottom line is that all the information you require is readily available by searching this board.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Didn't think the 240 came with an SR20DE or DET for that matter (in the states).
I'm not on this forum in pursuit of insulting anyone. Just because I stand my ground and don't let people insult or push me around you automatically label me as the aggressor?

Also, you're correct, it didn't. In the states the 240sx was only powered by the infamous KA single and dual cam motors. But the SR20 is more than easy obtainable in the states.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts