Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm putting a QA1 K member on a 92 fox and went to throw the rack on to find the bushings are far too small to accommodate the 5/8" rack bolts, but nothing was included nor can I find any surrounding info on what to do.

Am I missing something, either parts or knowledge?

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I figured out my problem, but have a few directions I could go.

I didn't mention in my opening statement that I'm using the MM solid rack bushings, which are for the stock k-member and all so I figured in and out. I didn't realize they require the cutting of the metal shoulder/sleeve guide (that the rack slides onto OEM style) to flush mount the rack to the kmember, essentially using the sleeve as a giant washer off the back, to only use the stock skinny bolts going through the rather small holes of the MM bushings.

The QA1 uses 5/8" bolts completely ditching that shoulder sleeve, so I realize I need OEM sized bushings with no sleeve to use their hardware.

Should I drill out my solids to 5/8 on a drill press? Is that accurate enough? They're machined pieces to start.

Option 2: I suppose is to just ditch them and get OEM replacement urethane.

Option 3: Cut the ~5/8 oem sleeves down and run the oem bolts through them and the QA1 kmember and "stock" MM bushings. I haven't tried to go out and see if the sleeves will fit through the QA1 washer tabs.

I'm kind of leaning towards just getting OEM sized urethane, which should fit and be the least amount of parts and variables.

Thoughts?

·
Please call me Mike
1,583 Posts
One would think you could just drill them out however I have no real idea.

I'm debating a k member upgrade but am also using the solid bushings. Trying to research and figure out what I can do. I noticed the mm bushings have options for their k member. I wonder if their k member uses smaller bolts or something.

Hopefully someone will chim in that's been through this.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm honestly shocked I can't find a 5/8" bushing option (particularly from QA1), solid or otherwise.

Found a guy with a car group that's letting me come over to bum his drill press and at least give it a try. I also went ahead and ordered some OEM replacement urethane.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got the 4 bushings bored out perfectly on a drill press with no issues but hot damn those concave washers just wouldn't take the bit. I really don't understand their purpose to begin with.

I'm going to see how the Prothanes fit up to QA1's supplied 5/8" bolts, but the OEM sure seem sloppy for 5/8. I think at this point I'm best off using the solid bushings but ditching the goofy concave washers if I can't find any off the shelf that fit.

I ordered a couple Belleville and Conical washers to see if they'll jive.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No 1979-2004 Mustang has ever had 5/8" bolts to mount the steering rack. The early cars from 1979-84.5 used 16mm bolts. The 1984.5 to 2004 cars used 12mm bolts.

The purpose of the spherical washers in the MM steering rack bushings is explained at the link below:

What you need to know about Mustang steering rack bushings?
This is the QA1 k member kit and hardware that ditches the metal shell/sleeve tube and long skinny bolts.

·
Premium Member
3,120 Posts
If the QA1 k-member is designed to use 5/8" bolts to mount the steering rack, there is no steering rack bushing for a 1979-2004 Ford Mustang that is going to fit that, unless QA1 builds one for that purpose.

The Prothane polyurethane bushings are designed to be used with a 16mm bolt or the sleeve designed for a 12mm bolt.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm just kind of cataloging this for people that might stumble into it in the future.

Drilling out the MM spacers to 5/8" on the press to accommodate the QA1 hardware, although probably not advised by our resident tech, fits perfectly snug and solid as I could ask for.

https://imgur.com/MBPRKYA

·
Registered
7,599 Posts
that QA1 rack is more for street/drag duty than road racing...

·
Registered
861 Posts
that QA1 rack is more for street/drag duty than road racing...
I'm just kind of cataloging this for people that might stumble into it in the future.

Drilling out the MM spacers to 5/8" on the press to accommodate the QA1 hardware, although probably not advised by our resident tech, fits perfectly snug and solid as I could ask for.

https://imgur.com/MBPRKYA

Yeaaa.. you will very quickly find out the weak point of that setup, and it's going to be by breaking and hurting the car.

I hope you understand that the purpose of the concave washers is to allow a surface for the rearmost bushing to sit parallel to one another. By drilling out yours and installing it on the sleeve of the K member, you will without a doubt break that rack under heavy turning. I've seen it on a street car where the steering rack was in a bind that it began to pop. Removed the solid bushings that utilized the stock sleeves, and all was well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts