Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know spring questions come up alot, but I'd like to know who has a vert and what springs they are using. I'm leaning towards the Bullitt suspension cause it's relatively inexpensive as compared to other spring/shock/strut deals.

Any one?

·
Registered
157 Posts
As far as I know, only the factory and the Eibach Pro-kits spec a different spring for the vert than for a coupe. I wouldn't worry too much about that difference, since the weight difference is like a tank of gas.

More important is to get a spring rate that matches what you intend to do with the car, and what shocks you plan to use. If you just want lower, that's fine, if you want handling, that's fine, and if its for drag racing, that's fine, but they all require different springs.

Anybody know the spring rate on the Bullitt kit?

·
Registered
263 Posts
I have the eibach prokit springs on my car. It's a nice drop (about 1 1/2 inches) and a comfortable ride, but I have a few words of caution:

1) Be prepared to scrape - you probably will. The verts have an extra x brace that loves to scrape over speed bumps.

2) My stock shocks and struts were gone withing 4,000 miles of my spring install. That was on a car with about 10,000 miles. The higher spring rates can make them wear out quickly. My ride quality suffered greatly for a while, and I was bottoming out a lot more than I am now.

3) Finally, with regards to the eibachs (and probably some other progressive springs), they feel a *little* soft in the corners until they take a set. This "give" translates into a more comfortable ride, but the handling isn't really flat like you'd expect it to be with a performance spring.

If it was money, I'd be on the phone with Maximum Motorsports. Do it once and do it right. It will save you money and headaches in the long run.

Good luck.

·
Registered
524 Posts
steve97Cobra said:
As far as I know, only the factory and the Eibach Pro-kits spec a different spring for the vert than for a coupe. I wouldn't worry too much about that difference, since the weight difference is like a tank of gas.

More important is to get a spring rate that matches what you intend to do with the car, and what shocks you plan to use. If you just want lower, that's fine, if you want handling, that's fine, and if its for drag racing, that's fine, but they all require different springs.

Anybody know the spring rate on the Bullitt kit?
The Bullitt springs are specific both front and rear and are rated at 600lbs fr. and 250 rear. I prefer this type of spring compared to the progressives that were on my stock '98GT coupe as they give a nice firm turn-in, get rid of any brake dive (which there was a lot of) and say bye bye to body roll.
I also thought the weight difference between a vert and coupe is in the order of 200 lbs - the weight of having an extra person on board? Maybe I'm wrong.

·
Registered
174 Posts
LI98GTStang said:
I also thought the weight difference between a vert and coupe is in the order of 200 lbs - the weight of having an extra person on board? Maybe I'm wrong.
For 2002, the difference between a GT vert and a GT coupe is 138 lbs. A full tank of gas comes in at around 95 lbs. Not too far off -- it would be the weight of an extra person if it were my boss, who weighs 135 lbs. I, on the other hand, weigh a bit less than twice that ... :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts