Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am doing a 363stroker on a street/strip car. I was wondering what size turbo do you run on your street/strip car? I was thinking either a 67mm or a 76mm. The car is a 5sp and may change to a auto if needed to. Any advice will be helpful since this is my first turbo build

·
Registered
326 Posts
I'm not a turbo guy by any means but from what I've seen a 76mm would be great for your 363 especially being a street/strip car. Like i said, not a turbo guy but a 76 seems like a happy median between sizes

Sent from my SPH-D710

·
Registered
205 Posts
I am doing a 363stroker on a street/strip car. I was wondering what size turbo do you run on your street/strip car? I was thinking either a 67mm or a 76mm. The car is a 5sp and may change to a auto if needed to. Any advice will be helpful since this is my first turbo build
For anyone to give you advice we will need a lil more info. How often will your car be at the strip vs the street. How fast do you want to go at the strip? How much power would you like to make? How much money do you have? Plan to tub the car?

Best friend car is a dart 336 with a Garrett GTX4202R and it makes enough power to make any drag radial small enough to fit in the stock wheel tubs worthless at anything under 70mph.

·
Registered
653 Posts
What he said. It all depends on your goals. I have a 306 with an 80mm and mine is a street strip mustang that does more street than strip.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the car will be more street then strip. its a dart 363 with AFR 185s(already had them), custom cam, would like to keep the tail pipes also. id be happy with 700-800whp. id like to be in the low 6's possible high 5's in the 1/8(one of these years)

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I got a stroked 4.75 with stage3 turbo cams stage 3 heads 4r75w with triple disk and have a 67mm turbo with 81ar, smaller than what most others use but I want full boost by 2500-3k at latest thats the goal. Pull baby pull!!!

·
Formerly eades5.0
4,716 Posts
Your goals are possible on a 76, but like me you will get bored with it and wish you had something bigger haha.

·
Registered
448 Posts
if i were you id go with the 67. But two of them... i have a stock bottom end car though so the t70 thats on there now works good for me. A 76 will probably getyou to your goal but if you want boost that early id look into a billet wheel with bearings, just sayin.

·
Registered
205 Posts
the car will be more street then strip. its a dart 363 with AFR 185s(already had them), custom cam, would like to keep the tail pipes also. id be happy with 700-800whp. id like to be in the low 6's possible high 5's in the 1/8(one of these years)
Ok 800whp is around 950fhp. So a 76mm should work well. Might as well buy a turbo that can make the top end of what you want. That way you are not left wishing you hand an extra 100hp but would have to spend more $$$ to get it.

Since its more street than strip and you are keeping a stick in it(for now) you will want to keep the A/R on the middle sizes available. 1.10 on the exhaust. You will get quick spool but should not choke the motor.
For ease of turbo everything I would keep it a t-4 based turbo. 4" exhaust vs 5 or 5 1/2".

Here are a few turbos to look at.
http://www.turbobygarrett.com
GT4202(journal baring) GT4202R(Ball bearing) with the 1.15 A/R

Midframe Turbos
Mid frames. The GTK will be too small I think.
HP-76 or HP-78 Nice thing about turbonetics is they use ceramic ball bearings in their Mid-frame turbos.

Or Borgwarner
s475 or s476

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ive thought about the gt4202's but didnt know if they would be good for my setup or not. What you said is a great idea to get one that is big enough to support the highest hp I want.

and yes 4jenna im sure it will be like that lol

·
Registered
381 Posts
I have a precision pt8285 on my 363 and the car is a beast extremely happy with my turbo selection..The car has been 9.1 @150 on radials with plenty left to go..It's mostly a street car that will see the track 4-5 times a year if that

·
Registered
806 Posts
My friend makes 860-870 to the wheels with a PT76GTS
He has AFR 205, turbo cam, dart 363, T56 trans.

Just to give you an idea of where you'll be at

·
Registered
4,226 Posts
Give Reed at Works Turbochargers a call and talk to him about your combo and goals. You could get there with a BW S475 with the T6 96mm exhaust wheel. The S475 can support 800+rwhp fairly easy for a $700 turbo.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I run a 357 with a 88mm and e85 for my strip/street car

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
My friend makes 860-870 to the wheels with a PT76GTS
He has AFR 205, turbo cam, dart 363, T56 trans.

Just to give you an idea of where you'll be at
+1...and he's not even cracking the boost much on that turbo...

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
306 with a 80mm. As posted above im already bored with it and wont to go bigger. Theres a garrett GT91 in the classifieds that would work good on a 363 with a auto. Stay with the 5 speed and it may be alittle laggy.

·
Registered
806 Posts
+1...and he's not even cracking the boost much on that turbo...
This guy!!!!!

Another buddy of mines has a 336 making 800 to the wheels also.

everyone in our circle runs high 7xx.....minimum. lol

·
Registered
806 Posts
306 with a 80mm. As posted above im already bored with it and wont to go bigger. Theres a garrett GT91 in the classifieds that would work good on a 363 with a auto. Stay with the 5 speed and it may be alittle laggy.
if your looking at this turbo....it's a good deal....to good to be true....that's why I stayed away from it. Maybe if he was closer I'd go get it.:)

But I really do want it lol

1 - 20 of 32 Posts