Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
yea 245 50 16 is fine. You shouldnt have any clearance issues. Nitto DRs run a bit narrower than standard radials, but is an excellent tire and you will love them. They do look taller and narrower than a standard radial, the 3rd and 4th pic shows nitto 444s, while the 1st 2 are 555DR

Tom

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks Tom. Only problem now is that I have 245/50's on the front. I bet they would be bigger than the 245/50 Nittos and that would look pretty dorky. I guess I'll replace those to.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I have 245/50-16's all the way around on ponies and it looks good. I run Bridgestone Potenza RE-71's up fron and the Nitto DR's out back. Here are some pix:

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Ron. The size difference doesn't seem that bad at all. Sweet looking car. Did you have to do anything to the center caps with the 3" studs?

·
Registered
260 Posts
No fit issues at all with the 3" studs. The caps cover them just fine. You will have to carry a deep socket/breaker bar as your lug wrench won't work for the rear.

·
Registered
518 Posts
i dont know maybe its just me but i have the nitto dr out back 245/50-16s. and i think they look like crap. up front i have some firestones 225/55-16 and these tires seem to fit the rim real nice. then look at the back tires and it looks out of place. what i mean is that the tires just look to big for the rim. they bubble out on the sides which in turn makes the tire really only making contact to the ground in the center of the tire. sorry i dont have any pics but if you could picture this in your mind you would know what im talking about.
when you look at my firestones from the front or back you could see that the whole tire is in contact with the road. again then looking at the wider nittos(25 psi for street) it looks as though only the center portion of the tire is in cantact with the road. not nearly as much as my firestones.
when it comes to getting new tires again im going to ask the tire guy if he could throw on a 225 nitto on a rim for me so i can compare to one of the 245s i have now.
now i could be all wrong about this but im just thinking that the 225s might be a better fit. even though they might not be as wide of a tire all together but in the end if these 225s are making more contact to the road than the 245s then its a no brainer as to which tire im going to go with.

·
Registered
257 Posts
i have 245x50x16's also. they look great. dont look too fat or anything and have full contact with the ground. sorry no pics. just imagine 92 coupers pic in black and thats mine.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Grn,

Is it just me or does your passenger door not line up with the rear quarterpanel?

Chris

PS. You've gotta stop posting those friggen pics, you're car is gorgeous, but don't tell my car I said that.

·
Registered
6,144 Posts
245/50

Just put them on last Thurs. KICK A$$ !!!:joy: Finally have traction on street! I think they look kinda tall but I have 225/50's in front. It looks ok though. I'll post pics later.

·
Registered
66 Posts
91_5.0GT,

i disagree completely with your statement about the 245 50 16's being too wide for the rim. In fact, I am pretty sure that the 245 is the WIDEST tire that you can fit on the rim with a full contact patch.

I used to have 255 50 16 on my car, but I switched to 245 nitto DR (liked the nitto's b/c of the stiffer sidewall than the BFG's). I don't like the nittos as well (they don' stick out enough for my liking). I put 1/4 in. wheel spacers on to get them out wider, but they still don't look quite as good as my old 255 50 16 BFG comp TA's.

Does anyone know for sure if you can run a wider than 245(say a 255) on th pony rims?

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
FastDriver said:
Grn,

Is it just me or does your passenger door not line up with the rear quarterpanel?

Chris

PS. You've gotta stop posting those friggen pics, you're car is gorgeous, but don't tell my car I said that.
Truthfully, I never noticed it, but I will look this afternoon up close. I'm doing a claybar and meguiars 3 step process(paint cleaner, polish, wax). I hope it gets even shinier and smooth. I appriciate those kind words! Dont forget though, yours is faster. If we ever meet up one day at the track like we plan, you'll see up close the imperfections it has. Still wanna buy it, LOL!!

Mike

·
Registered
518 Posts
az5oh said:
91_5.0GT,

i disagree completely with your statement about the 245 50 16's being too wide for the rim. In fact, I am pretty sure that the 245 is the WIDEST tire that you can fit on the rim with a full contact patch.

I used to have 255 50 16 on my car, but I switched to 245 nitto DR (liked the nitto's b/c of the stiffer sidewall than the BFG's). I don't like the nittos as well (they don' stick out enough for my liking). I put 1/4 in. wheel spacers on to get them out wider, but they still don't look quite as good as my old 255 50 16 BFG comp TA's.

well i guess its just a matter of taste. personally i like a tire thats made to fit a certain rim. the 245 nittos are approximately 10 inches wide whereas the rim is only 7 inches. yes you can fit that tire on the rim but that doesnt always mean that the two were made for eachother.
i once saw someone with 255 bf drag radials on his ponys. man that is a nice tire and i wish they made one to fit the pony a little better because man did that thing just look way too big for the rim....again just my personal preferance.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts