Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would normally want a 24fter, but I think I can get a really good deal on a used 2005 18ft Interstate Trailer. Nothing special at all, but it would be nice to have something enclosed. Just wondering if the 18ft one would be totally useless for transporting the mustang...1985 GT in my sig. I honestly won't use it more than a few times a year so I am not worried about being "cramped" on a weekend basis.

Your thoughts?

·
Registered
286 Posts
You would not be happy with 18 ft. That leaves you with very little room inside. I have a 24ft and I wish I would have gone bigger even though 24 is sufficient.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Well since my ranger wouldnt even fit in a 18ft trailer. I did have a 28ft and I like the room it had. Was able to put a work table, 35 gallon air compresser, couple cabinets, and my 4-wheeler. So You would still have good room with a 24 ft since the stang is smaller then my ext cab ranger. Better be catious I just sold my 28ft and bought a 44ft with 24 ft storage and 20 ft living quarters. You will like having a trailer though its nice being able to keep the truck in it or just a place to keep things.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm hoping to test fit the car in there tomorrow just to see how it fits. How the hell do you get out of the car once its parked in the trailer?

·
Registered
826 Posts
It is hard almost need someone to help you get as close as possible to the left. Then carefully get out. You could duke of hazzard it :)

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its got t-tops so I could eject myself out that way...

·
Registered
286 Posts
I'm hoping to test fit the car in there tomorrow just to see how it fits. How the hell do you get out of the car once its parked in the trailer?
Just like previously said dukes of hazard style. It's an eclosed trailor so no need to roll the windows up.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
If you're only going to use it a few times a year an 18ft would be nice if you have to have an enclosed trailer. 8 footers are cheap and everywhere too.

I'm going to be purchasing a trailer soon (Dec/Jan) I'd like to get a 48' or so, but I will be in it quite often. As for getting out my last enclosed which was a 24' had an exit door on the left side of the trailer that I could open the vehicle door. It's very difficult to get out of a car with a roll cage through the window inside of the trailer.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
I am looking at getting a 24 ft enclosed next year. I lost my garage so I need a place to work on my car lol, minor stuff etc. I have a 18ft flatbed dove now.

·
Registered
826 Posts
If you're only going to use it a few times a year an 18ft would be nice if you have to have an enclosed trailer. 8 footers are cheap and everywhere too.

I'm going to be purchasing a trailer soon (Dec/Jan) I'd like to get a 48' or so, but I will be in it quite often. As for getting out my last enclosed which was a 24' had an exit door on the left side of the trailer that I could open the vehicle door. It's very difficult to get out of a car with a roll cage through the window inside of the trailer.
Man you will love that big of a trailer but dang 44ft is huge for me. Its a load for my 250 had to put air bags on it, more then the suspension wanted. And I have had trouble finding a place to park. I try getting to tracks early so I can pick good spots. But having the living space is nice. I pulled it to bristol nascar race and just used it as a camper. Plus like another racer told me you need to look good when you break something and leaving.

But back to the 18ft i would try getting atleast a 24ft if the costs isnt to big of difference. I sold my 28ft trailer with craftsman work table with tool box under it, 4500 watt generator/welder, had lights breaker box and outlets and a winch, plus new tires and chrome wheels. It was a 99 pace sold it for $5k thought that was decent price. Dont know what trailers r going for around ur area.

·
Registered
469 Posts
TRAILER

My 25ft. enclosed with a/c will be available in a few months....

·
Registered
286 Posts

I have a full cage in my car and it's not that bad getting in and out window and I am 6'2' 220. However if that extra door option wasn't $2000 more when I bought my trailor I would have gotten it. Definatly does make life easier getting in and out.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Man you will love that big of a trailer but dang 44ft is huge for me. Its a load for my 250 had to put air bags on it, more then the suspension wanted. And I have had trouble finding a place to park. I try getting to tracks early so I can pick good spots. But having the living space is nice. I pulled it to bristol nascar race and just used it as a camper. Plus like another racer told me you need to look good when you break something and leaving.

But back to the 18ft i would try getting atleast a 24ft if the costs isnt to big of difference. I sold my 28ft trailer with craftsman work table with tool box under it, 4500 watt generator/welder, had lights breaker box and outlets and a winch, plus new tires and chrome wheels. It was a 99 pace sold it for $5k thought that was decent price. Dont know what trailers r going for around ur area.
I want a gooseneck 48' or so, I'd like to build some live in quarters in a trailer with running water air and heat. I have more than just me going racing now, my son is at the age that he can go to the track which also means my wife will be tagging along. At 48' there will be plenty of room to build what I want and also have room for generator, compressor and tool storage. My original plan was to buy an old Kentucky moving van semi-trailer and building out of that. Which still isn't out of the question when the time comes I'll have to look into my best option would be. The prices of trailers ain't getting any cheaper unless I could find a ragged out fixer upper.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
I have a full cage in my car and it's not that bad getting in and out window and I am 6'2' 220. However if that extra door option wasn't $2000 more when I bought my trailor I would have gotten it. Definatly does make life easier getting in and out.
$2,000 for some hinges and a lock???? I borrowed a friends trailer for a race out in Texas after I sold mine last year and it is very difficult to get out of a car compared to having an escape door. I really don't know how 'bigger' guys do it.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I want a gooseneck 48' or so, I'd like to build some live in quarters in a trailer with running water air and heat. I have more than just me going racing now, my son is at the age that he can go to the track which also means my wife will be tagging along. At 48' there will be plenty of room to build what I want and also have room for generator, compressor and tool storage. My original plan was to buy an old Kentucky moving van semi-trailer and building out of that. Which still isn't out of the question when the time comes I'll have to look into my best option would be. The prices of trailers ain't getting any cheaper unless I could find a ragged out fixer upper.
Ya mines 44ft paid $25k for it. Has heat/air in both area's has bed over goose neck, kitchen, couch/bed, full bathroom, and 2 tv's, has a 5500 watt owen generator. It was a very big investment but my family and friends always go, moms able to cook for us.

·
Registered
225 Posts
You guys are getting way off the subject here...I don't have an enclosed, but my parents do. When my stang is in their trailer, there's tons of room...I could amost fit another in there, but their's is a 32' Haulmark. Anyway, I have an 18' open trailer, & I've had my F-250 Super Duty on it, although it would never fit in my parent's Haulmark. An 18 foot enclosed will be very tight, but if you're not using it on a regular basis, it should be fine.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I would get at least a 20', possiblely a v-nose. You think you dont need the room now, but you will later.

Ive got a 24' and now with the golf cart, wish i had a 28'.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
blueoval_saleen said:
Ya mines 44ft paid $25k for it. Has heat/air in both area's has bed over goose neck, kitchen, couch/bed, full bathroom, and 2 tv's, has a 5500 watt owen generator. It was a very big investment but my family and friends always go, moms able to cook for us.
That's the reason I was looking into buying a moving van trailer, price tags like that. I can get a retired (older model) Kentucky trailer for around $5k or so here locally, and build what I'd like from there. I already have a semi to pull it, but there is downfall it's a huge setup. So I'm still outweighing my options, hopefully I can find one of these dirt track guys selling their old trailer cheaply once the season ends. I screwed myself by not buying a 44' a few months ago that this dirt track guy had for $5,500.

89LXNotch said:
You guys are getting way off the subject here...I don't have an enclosed, but my parents do. When my stang is in their trailer, there's tons of room...I could amost fit another in there, but their's is a 32' Haulmark. Anyway, I have an 18' open trailer, & I've had my F-250 Super Duty on it, although it would never fit in my parent's Haulmark. An 18 foot enclosed will be very tight, but if you're not using it on a regular basis, it should be fine.
We're not getting off subject just as much as you are, this is a discussion board he asked for our thoughts, we each gave them and began to discuss about enclosed trailers. Funny how that works huh?
put a winch in the trailer and pull the car in to solve the getting out/in of the car problem.
you still have to get it out :)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts