Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 408w with aprox 500hp and backed with a C4, 4000 rpm stall. Whats a good starting point for 1/8th mile racing? How about 1/4 mile? I dont know what rpm I will be crossing the line at but red line is 6500. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,595 Posts
Depends on how tall the tire is.

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
What rear gear does it have now?

·
Registered
511 Posts
If you plan on running 8th and quarter I would stick with what the quarter is going to give you. Its either gonna be a 4.10 or 4.30 with a 28'' if your figuring between 127 to 130 mph and a lot of other things included. And knock it down a notch for every inch less in tire diameter. But I am just taking a wild ass guess using my experience's in that HP level.

·
Registered
521 Posts
4.10 would be my suggestion from my experience. My converter is looser out of the gate, but only shows 4.5% slip through the traps. I make a little more hp but my numbers should give you an idea. 28" tire here, 4.10 gear, trap 135 @ 6930 rpm. combo is in my signature. I'm getting ready to swap in 4.56's for 1/8 mile. I run a 9" rear, so gear swaps don't take very long.

·
Premium Member
2,595 Posts
If you plan on running 8th and quarter I would stick with what the quarter is going to give you.
This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Changing the rear gear for the 1/8th will net you zero. If the car is optimized for the 1/4, changing the rear gear will do nothing but add rpm to your 1/8 mile finish rpm. I run 5.3's in the 1/8th with my car. It had 3.73:1 gears. I switched to 4.10:1 gears and saw zero improvement in ET. The only improvement was in my reaction time. Because of the gear, the car responded faster and my reaction times went from high .180-.200 down to .060-.080. My finish line rpm went from 7,400 rpm to 7,800 rpm on the switch as well. This on a 26" tall tire. Otherwise same exact ET. Same mph as well.

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks for the responses. To be honest this is my first time building a car for mostly drag racing. Ive only just for fun and around town raced with a mild 302. I havent bought tires yet but Im getting close. The rear end I have laying around has 31 spline and a 3.73. I didnt think it would be enough but just needed to know a good starting point. I have a set of 4.10 laying around and I also have a rear end with 33 spline, clip elemenator 4.30 gear but it is a spool. Dont know if I want to do any street driving with a soild rear.

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
My starting point would be to run with whatever gear is on the car, then assess where to go from there

·
Premium Member
2,595 Posts
Use the 33 spline c-clip eliminated rear and put the 3.73's in with the trac-loc diff and you should be good to go.

Reactions: JPX

·
Registered
293 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts