Ford Mustang Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
First step of rebuilding my engine is picking pistons. I plan on going .030 over stock block, stock crank, stock rods. the goal is either going to be doing trick flow 170 fast as cast heads, or 190 11R's. Don't want to invest the money into stroking or going any bigger on the heads. just looking to put together a solid, aluminum headed 306 for the street.

I know the big names, JE, probe, ect., and I'm prepared to spend 700 ish dollars on pistons if need be, but was wondering if there are any other options out there?

I don't want to go towards the cheaper end of the spectrum like keith black, or speedpro because I hear they are heavy. The trick flow pistons are heavy if I do recall.

is a 306 worth spending money on 190 11r's and a custom cam for the street? i was just going to do 170 cast heads, and an off the shelf cam if the power difference is not worth writing home about.

thanks in advance.
I would just use regular oem style pistons. You can save money and use non forged pistons. If you want a reliable engine with low budget I wouldn't waste money on forge pistons. With tw 170 a decent cam you will feel the hp in the seat of your pants. Forge pistons rattle when the engine is cold that's why eco boost engines don't have them. Forge pistons require more clearance because of the swelling effect. Don't be sold on wasted money keep it simple and in budget. I have done hundreds and hundreds of small block Fords thru the years. Let alone the modular.

·
Old timer
5,805 Posts
Stock 302 HO pistons are forged.

Modern forged pistons don't rattle.

Mark O'Neal can confirm this.

The cost of doing it right the first time, far outweigh doing it twice.

:cool:

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I must be doing something wrong, I don't see any 306 TW CP pistons in their catalog. lots of options for stroker motors

and the trick flows are these I'm assuming

I plan on using stock rods, and not spinning RPM anything more than usual. I would use stock pistons, but the reason I'm in this boat is because after doing a GT40p head swap and TFS1 cam, car lost compression, pulled it back down and found all 3 rings on all 8 pistons stuck in the ring grooves. bought new rings and they feel tight in the ring lands, after having to pry all the rings out with a pick. I just don't trust the stock pistons. Not against getting ARP rod bolts either.

I don't feel like 11r heads are worth it on a 306, that's the reason I say fast as cast 170's, maybe that's just my opinion. The pistons have to have TW valve reliefs to use with 170 FAC heads and any cam worth anything correct?

·
Old timer
5,805 Posts
I must be doing something wrong, I don't see any 306 TW CP pistons in their catalog. lots of options for stroker motors

and the trick flows are these I'm assuming

I plan on using stock rods, and not spinning RPM anything more than usual. I would use stock pistons, but the reason I'm in this boat is because after doing a GT40p head swap and TFS1 cam, car lost compression, pulled it back down and found all 3 rings on all 8 pistons stuck in the ring grooves. bought new rings and they feel tight in the ring lands, after having to pry all the rings out with a pick. I just don't trust the stock pistons. Not against getting ARP rod bolts either.

I don't feel like 11r heads are worth it on a 306, that's the reason I say fast as cast 170's, maybe that's just my opinion. The pistons have to have TW valve reliefs to use with 170 FAC heads and any cam worth anything correct?

Pistons, pins and rings....

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
The CP Bullets have the intake reliefs for both the standard and twisted wedge valve locations.

They be lookin' like dis:

The rest of the info is in the link Ed provided.

I also make them to order in the SRS series for the Twisted Wedge or 11R (B303) heads.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Awesome, thank you both. any reason to go one over the other? The cp's look fine to me.

almost seems unfair to put old school heads on a nice piston such as that maybe 11r's are the way to go

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I ran those piston in my 302 block. nice piston, a bit heavy and old school ring pack, but not bad for a daily cruiser.

If you could get the out of production Ford racing piston and cut a relief, it would probably be a little lighter.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Awesome, thank you both. any reason to go one over the other? The cp's look fine to me.

almost seems unfair to put old school heads on a nice piston such as that maybe 11r's are the way to go
You need a max of about 250 cfm at .600 for the motor you said you were building. These guys will have you at 100 cfm more than that in a microsecond.

The CP's are more than fine for your application. The Probe would have about a half point more compression, other than that it's a push. You could also do a 4032 forged for 525.00 + Rings (so 650.00)

And a pistons primary job is to keep the ring from hitting the crankshaft.

The world is your erster. (sic)

21 - 28 of 28 Posts