Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm replacing my leaking rack & pinion on my '91 fox, upgrading to the Cobra rack...already ordered the 22-2000 Cardone from Advance Auto & need to swap another Maximum Motorsports steering shaft (MMST-13)...I will be selling my MMST-11 shaft for a Fox rack...only 1500 miles on it.

1) What brand(s) should I be looking at for a new/rebuilt reliable pump & reservoir as well as hoses? I want it all fresh.

2) Do I swap the old tie-rod ends over to the new rack or does it make sense to buy new/better parts there?

3) Am I missing anything else?

·
Registered
4,240 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I was going to buy new Moog inner/outer Fox tie-rod parts for the new Cobra rack (swapping the metric for the SAE)...But if the shorter Taurus outer accomplishes the exact same results then that's a win-win. Is that a guaran-damn-tee guys?

·
Registered
33 Posts
So I was going to buy new Moog inner/outer Fox tie-rod parts for the new Cobra rack (swapping the metric for the SAE)...But if the shorter Taurus outer accomplishes the exact same results then that's a win-win. Is that a guaran-damn-tee guys?
Just get MOOG fox outter tie rod ends, boom done. I did that and went with MM's solid shaft & steering feels great.

·
Registered
8,421 Posts
Yes. You're call as to which route you want to go. 93 Taurus outers, or swap to fox inner and outer tie rod ends. In my case, i went with Moog fox-specific parts. I knew one day i'd be probably installing an MM bumpsteer kit, and didn't want to start mixing and matching generations there. Once you do that, it's pretty much a direct swap for the fox rack using the MM steering shaft.

I replaced all the PS hoses and lines, but i left the original 30 year old pump. Sadly, i have more faith in the old pump than a newer reman. What's interesting is doing a new fill with clean Type F, and taking my time to purge all the air out has resulted in the pump being the quietest it's ever been. I can barely hear it these days.

Very good modification and ditching the sloppy fox rack and steering shaft has been one of my favorite mod's i've done on the car.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I have a brand new power steering line for you, found out real quick my rack wasnt a 03/04 cobra like the ebay seller said, but a regular degular SN95 rack.

·
Premium Member
3,120 Posts
Fox outer tie rod ends will NOT screw onto an SN95 steering rack.

Never purchase a rack without a photo of the SPR code. That is the only way to know what application the rack came from.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry been away a while...wrapped that project up a few months ago. Got the good SPR-ZM rack from Advance Auto for a good price, Maximum Motorsports Hybrid shaft, & fox inner/outers and it’s spectacular...Advance took the Fox rack back as a core. I even string aligned it temporarily to get to the alignment shop and they said it was nut-on to my requested specs...no charge.
Also I had ordered new ball joints from Maximum Motorsports but never installed them...need to return or sell them in classified section if anyone needs a pair. Ended up reinstalling the old pump cuz the reman was noisy...love the steering feel for sure!

·
Registered
466 Posts
I just installed the MM Hybrid Steering Shaft Assembly for my Cobra rack a couple days ago. I was running my own make-shift shaft and decided to go with a purpose built unit.

The installation when fairly smooth, except the MM shaft seems to be a bit too long. I had to loosen the rack bushing and pull the rack forward to get it in. It's fully collapsed in it's installed state, which to me defeats the purpose of have a telescoping length. My car has a MM K-member and MM rack bushings so the rack position isn't out of the ordinary. Just an FYI...

·
Premium Member
3,120 Posts
Tom,

Your steering column tube is pulled out of the firewall more than it normally should be. It can be tapped back in with a hammer. That is why the MM steering shaft appears to be too long.

·
Registered
466 Posts
FOXVERT91, sorry about using your thread for a few questions, but they're relevant to the rack install.

Jack, I adjusted the firewall tube and the shaft install looks better. Here's another question... since I did the old re-clock the rack input shaft 90 degree trick (required before the MM Hybrid shaft was available) do you think the new shaft u-joint orientation is going to cause me any issues? Visually looking at it, I don't think so but figured I'd ask.

·
Premium Member
3,120 Posts
Since the operating angles of the u-joints are not even close to the same as each other, their is a fair amount of speed variation. This makes the steering less linear.

This is mostly absorbed by the compliances in the various parts in the steering system. When you run solid rack mounts, FCA bushings and tires with a stiffer sidewall, it becomes more obvious.

I would not spend the money to change the steering shaft just to make the speed variations symmetric. Unless your car is bumpsteered perfectly for example, it just won't be worth the added precision.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts