Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So the last few days I've been studying filters and oil. My buddy is a sales rep and he was explaining to me that the filters with a wafer spring in the top are junk. Upon the 1st cold start the wafer spring is bent and the filter is basically in bypass mode from the moment forward. He went to explain that Amsoil, Wix, Napa and Carquest filters have a coil spring in the top of them so they return to regular filtering after cold starts and don't remain in bypass mode. After looking at all the cut open filters he was right...not even Mobil1, K&N or Royal Purple filters have this...,...I was surprised.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Yeah I've been on BITOG for a few months. Only 5 filters have a coil spring from what I saw. That leads me to wonder how important it really is since so many companies have the wafer.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Amsoil and Wix Racing here. Its all about GPM and filtration in microns IMHO. There is a balance there. The wix standard filters are 21 micron. The wix racing are 61 micron. You get a LOT more flow out of the racing filters. But frankly on their own they are not good for a street car. Currently I am running a ams bypass filter and a wix racing primary (remote mount). I am thinking its the best of both worlds, But who knows.

I also like the regular Amsoil filters, because at least in theory you get good flow and good filtration (15 micron)

Here are the ratings from Wix:

Non racing

Part Number: 51515
UPC Number: 765809515154
Principal Application: Chrysler Family of Cars/Trucks (57-70), Ford Family of Cars/Trucks (57-00), Mazda Trucks (94-00), Toyota Landcruiser (71-96), various HD applications - (Two Quart version is 51773)
All Applications
Style: Spin-On Lube Filter
Service: Lube
Type: Full Flow
Media: Paper/Glass
Height: 5.178
Outer Diameter: 3.660
Thread Size: 3/4-16
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: 8-11
Anti-Drain Back Valve: Yes
Ends: Metal
Beta Ratio: 2/20=13/23
Burst Pressure-PSI: 290
Max Flow Rate: 7-9 GPM
Nominal Micron Rating: 21

Racing
Part Number: 51515R
UPC Number: 765809129054
Principal Application: Racing Applications Only
All Applications
Style: Spin-On Lube Filter
Service: Lube
Type: Full Flow
Media: Paper
Height: 5.170
Outer Diameter Top: 3.600
Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed
Thread Size: 3/4-16
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: 8-11
Anti-Drain Back Valve: Yes
Max Flow Rate: 28 GPM
Nominal Micron Rating: 61

Here is a link to the amsoil filters:

AMSOIL - AMSOIL Ea Oil Filters (EaO, Ea15K)

·
Registered
230 Posts
Bosch or purolator premium plus.....whichever one just depends if I'm at autozone or advance auto.

I know I opened a purolator up at one point years ago and it had the coil spring you speak of. Bosch is made by purolator so I'm pretty sure it would be the same.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts