Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Syntetic?

I'm just using SAE 10W40....with oil changes every 2-3k miles.

·
Registered
833 Posts
This has been a subject I have been tossing around for a while now.. I here tons of people running the Rotello 15X40.. Well I have a built SBF with a GT42-76 making right at about 850-900 to the tire.. and was really skeptical to run it.. but I have talked to numerous engine builders that say to run it... I have always run synthetic Royal purple or Mobile 1... Is this Rotella all it is cracked up to be??... I want to change over because I usually change my oil pretty frequently and would save some serious coin if I did!!…

·
Authorized corral.net Advertiser
3,684 Posts
rotella here on my high 7sec car.

·
Registered
833 Posts
rotella here on my high 7sec car.
Do you run the standard Rotella or the Synthetic?.. and what type of clearances do you have?.. I am guessing you would need a thicker oil than 15W 40 for a High 7 second motor?... 15W40 was the thickest I could find in Rotella At the Wally!..:hammer: And my motor builder wanted me to run 20W 50

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I know you (Millhouse) have been running turbos for awhile and I'm actually very surprised your using plain regular oil. I was going to use Mobil1 10w 30, but will try that Rotella 15w40.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
I know you (Millhouse) have been running turbos for awhile and I'm actually very surprised your using plain regular oil. I was going to use Mobil1 10w 30, but will try that Rotella 15w40.
With frequent oil changes and the likelyhood of the engine lasting 100k miles next to nothing.....it works.

I have heard that the Zinc content in Rotella oil's make it desirable for flat tappet & cam break-in's...but wasn't aware so many used it for their regular oil of choice.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts