Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered the ON3 67turbo for a 88 GT. My exhaust is H-pipe and Flowmaster 2 1/2. Do I have to change mufflers if yes what mufflers should I get. I would like to keep the same sound as the Flowmasters.

·
Registered
156 Posts
you can buy the on3 y-pipe and use the current flowmasters

or run a single exhaust from the down pipe with one muffler

from what guys say on here a straigt through muffler is going to out perform a flowmaster or chambered muffler, but they can be ran, just turn the knob up if you need more power.
I have a friend running flowmaster knock offs on his turbo 514 without problems

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
I read somewhere that the chambered muffler created a resonance wave that can cause havoc on the turbine wheel... BS maybe.. I think it was a at a turbonetics turbo conference back in 2001..

·
Registered
299 Posts
I got a 3" DP into a flowmaster y-pipe into 2-2.5" Pypes racepro straight though mufflers, but I still have the stock dented 2.25" tails with 3" chrome tips. I get beef from my brother all the time on how quiet the car is. I have a pair of flowmaster 2.5 tails that I was going actually put on tomorrow to see if I can get a little more idle out of it. I miss the flowmaster sound that I took off when I went turbo.

No matter what muffler you choose I think it will be quiet. And turbo cars just sound like crap without mufflers. Flowmaster will tell you to just run their muffler 2 sizes bigger than normal with reducers to fit your piping. But I have yet to find somebody with that setup. I don't feel like spending more money to find out. Maybe they should just donate me some and I'll be their spokesman for running them on turbo cars.

Last week I raced my brother on the interstate at night coming home from a local car show. He only has a N/A mustang so it was even a challenge to say the least. But as I was coming over a slight hill with him 15 cars behind. There were two state troopers sitting there.thought I was died busted, but They didn’t budge with me flying by at 120mph. My brother later joked saying "I don't think those cops even heard you go by".

·
Registered
295 Posts
Benefits of being quiet. But can't u hear the wastegate? If I recall correctly the on3 kit has it vented to the atmosphere

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
299 Posts
Benefits of being quiet. But can't u hear the wastegate? If I recall correctly the on3 kit has it vented to the atmosphere

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
I'm not sure if that question was directed at me or not. I don't have On3 kit. My setup is stage1 Ponydown kit. Which had the open waste gate. But I got tired of that god awful noise fast, so I piped my back into the down pipe.

Now I cut off the factor 2.25 dented to #### tails that I said I was Going to do above. Now the car is way to loud. Sounds similar to open headers. Has that terrible vibration that open headers have. So I will move forward and put the mandrel bent 2.5 flowmaster tails I have and see if I can find a happy medium. But I think i'll just live with it after that, regardless if it's to quiet. Personally I'd rather be on the quiet side.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Ghost88 – 71Swing is right about upsizing the Flowmaster mufflers in order to get the most power out of them with a turbo setup, but it’s only necessary to upsize an additional ½” larger than the diameter of the exhaust tubing. This increases the internal case size so you don’t hamper velocity going through the muffler.

We also have Pro-Series (previously known as Hushpower Pro-Series) and Outlaw mufflers that are great for turbo and supercharged applications without upsizing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts