Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our car is a 85GT that is about #3150 w/driver and has a faceplated TKO600 and a 550HP? 363. (hoping to run mid-high 10's) We were going to run 4.30's with a Detroit locker in a 8.8 and was going to use Moser 31 spline axles. Are the 31 spline Moser axles plenty strong enough for our combo? At what point do you need to go to 33 or 35 spline? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,530 Posts
When they break....thats when you need bigger axles, lol. Really it all depends on how the power is put to the axle. A stick sfift car on slicks leaving at high rpm will break an axle long before an automatic trans car will. I would hope you at least have a C-clip eliminator so when the axle does break it does not exit the vehicle.

·
Registered
9,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When they break....thats when you need bigger axles, lol. Really it all depends on how the power is put to the axle. A stick sfift car on slicks leaving at high rpm will break an axle long before an automatic trans car will. I would hope you at least have a C-clip eliminator so when the axle does break it does not exit the vehicle.
On the c-clip deal, we had Moser weld 9" ends on the 8.8 housing, so no more c-clips.

·
Premium Member
2,530 Posts
When you do go to a bigger axle, just jump right to the 35 spline and get it over with. No sense in buying stuff twice. I run a 8.8 with 35 spline axles and spool. Braced and welded rear housing, 9' ends and it has taken all of the abuse I can throw at it without a whimper.

·
Registered
154 Posts
When you do go to a bigger axle, just jump right to the 35 spline and get it over with. No sense in buying stuff twice. I run a 8.8 with 35 spline axles and spool. Braced and welded rear housing, 9' ends and it has taken all of the abuse I can throw at it without a whimper.
This is what I did after twisting 2 sets of 31 spline axles with my stick car making just over 500 to the tire.

·
Registered
676 Posts
There’s more to axle strength than splines. I did the Strange package with 33 spline full induction hardened, c clip eliminators, and lightweight spool. Their full race axle is full induction hardened as opposed to just surface hardened.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Our car is a 85GT that is about #3150 w/driver and has a faceplated TKO600 and a 550HP? 363. (hoping to run mid-high 10's) We were going to run 4.30's with a Detroit locker in a 8.8 and was going to use Moser 31 spline axles. Are the 31 spline Moser axles plenty strong enough for our combo? At what point do you need to go to 33 or 35 spline? Thanks!
Im at where u want to be with more left on the table. 31 splines and no issues.

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
few friends of mine have been 7's on 31's... went 9" and 40's shortly after though lol

·
Registered
511 Posts
I have 35's on mine now, because I snapped my 31's in 2 about 4 years ago. It took 10 years and over a thousand runs to get it to that point though. Happened over in Indy at the Div. 3 Finals. Sticky track. I think you will be alright with your intended usage.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts