Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 69 block 408w, with avenger R heads. It is in a ranger I have ran a best 6.49 105 mph, but since then put 5.14, new slicks, and went to allky. The guy that done my carb said to use cometic gaskets. Then I read a lot of people dont like MLS gaskets. That they are prone to leak and have to have perfect surface area. Some said to use 993 pt-1 but jegs and summit says they are for stock or street applications. I believe my block is ringed it has a wire around the cylinders that sticks up some. I had copper ones before but they started leaking.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I just use regualar Fel-pro gaskets. Never had a problem with those. Can't remember the part number.

·
Registered
17,637 Posts
no way around it..

the superior pressure holding of a copper shim and wire in the head is still the proven best for a hundred years.....

anything else is just a shortcut / compromise.......

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no way around it..

the superior pressure holding of a copper shim and wire in the head is still the proven best for a hundred years.....

anything else is just a shortcut / compromise.......
Ok see I reused the copper ones I had. Used grey permatex on it. Seems like that was a mistake. Afterwards I read the back and it said not to use on head gaskets or around gas. So I have heard of a silicone spray to coat them with and heard of right stuff. I just want the best. I think it was the permatex I used why they leaked, you can scrap it off the block with your nail. The first time I took the heads off I had to use a scraper and cleaner. I have studs. And what sixe gasket would I need. 69 351w block should be bored .030 with 4" stroke. I believe thats what make a 408.

·
Registered
143 Posts
My heads are O-Ringed and my block has a recieving groove cut into it...I use copper gaskets and they press into the recieving grooves for a total seal...I don't think you're gonna get much better than that.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks I guess I am going to go with copper. Do you know what type of silicone spray people use to coat the gasket with. I am going to use the "right stuff" on the water ports if I can find it.

·
Registered
17,637 Posts
I do not understand what the purpose is for having to "spray on" any silicone.

when the block or head has a reciever groove and there is a wire in the opposite part, then you only have to use silicone /right stuff on the water port/steam holes.

you only have to use a light coat and allow it to dry competely , tell by it not sticking to your finger when touched....
naturally all parts have to be "roughed up" with maroon scotch-brite pads and BRAKE spray kleen.........NOT a carb spray...
most copper gaskets are fine as in, but if reused, they need to be "softened up" by way of annealing with a low flame torch/mapp gas / common propane ...and then NOT cooled in water... just hang them on a coathangar wire to cool...but not in a breeze.....

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
MLS is best.

If you're putting heads and blocks together that a warped
or as the bash the MLS crowd likes to put it ... "not perfect"
then you're going have problems regardless of what HG you use.

For some odd reason all new factory engines come with MLS head gaskets now ...... hmmmm

If you do have o-ring block then that a whole nother ball game
and you need special o-ring copper gaskets.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I do not understand what the purpose is for having to "spray on" any silicone.

when the block or head has a reciever groove and there is a wire in the opposite part, then you only have to use silicone /right stuff on the water port/steam holes.

you only have to use a light coat and allow it to dry competely , tell by it not sticking to your finger when touched....
naturally all parts have to be "roughed up" with maroon scotch-brite pads and BRAKE spray kleen.........NOT a carb spray...
most copper gaskets are fine as in, but if reused, they need to be "softened up" by way of annealing with a low flame torch/mapp gas / common propane ...and then NOT cooled in water... just hang them on a coathangar wire to cool...but not in a breeze.....
Thanks for all the info. Have you ever heard of using SCE titan self sealing copper head gaskets?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts