Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The car in question is a 96 Gt it has a 5 speed manual transmission and 2.73 rear end gears. The engine is stock with the exception of a Paxton NOVI 2000 supercharger. The car has the computer chip and FMU from Paxton, along with all of the other stuff that comes with the kit. The car has stock heads and exhaust (including fact cat h-pipe). Now the car runs better then N/A; however it does not have that throw you in the seat type of acceleration. I do see a full 9 lbs in 1st 6 lbs in 2nd and not sure in third. The car has problems spinning the tires when you floor it at any speed (as in if you do not drop rev the engine and dump the clutch it does not spin the tires). Now do not get me wrong I am not complaining (I do not replacing tires every year) what I am trying to get at is the car producing the power it should or is it a little weak even for a stock headed 96 4.6L engine. So what is holding this car back (Other than me)? I do not want to sink too much more money into the car in the near future.

·
Registered
365 Posts
i have a simular sob story with my car, 6pd blower with stock gears and muffs. i went to 373s over the winter and now that the vibes are gone (pinion angle) it runs at least three tenths quicker in the quarter. there is no comparison. it almost seems that the gears made about the same increase in acceleration as the blower did!
Now for the other thought: yes my driving does hold back the car, but i do not have a budget for broken parts. bobn

·
Registered
906 Posts
obvious answer.

Exhaust needs to be opened up badly. If funds are low, get some longtubes. If they are really low, get an off road or high flow pipe. Catback will yield you the least gains.

Heads would be a great upgrade but won't be completely effective unless you have a good set of headers for them to flow through.

You could get some longtubes and a maching shorty pipe for about $650. That will give you about 30rwhp gain and maybe more.

If you did heads with all that exhaust.....expect 60-80rwhp gain.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Longtubes are the ONLY way to go. Shorties yield some gains, but now much. Some may see 10rwhp maybe 15 rwhp, if any rwhp at all!!! lol

Longtubes are more expensive. You should get ceramic coated to keep temps down under the hood. They have been proven to gain 20rwhp and more.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
although doing any of the things you want what yield a good gain, i'd be willing to bet that the heads are holding you back the most.

MM&FF did a full exhaust upgrade on a supercharged GT last year and it only netted them like 15 or so peak horsepower. (Bassani o/r x and bassani cat-back)

i would say in order of most gains it would go 1. Heads 2. Gears. 3. Exhaust.

Just my opinion

·
Registered
911 Posts
my heads wll be off since i am changing my head gaskets.at all cases if hopefully no ring is broken ,i will port my heads and get the lt's .should see about 20rwhp.

but yes LT's are the only way to go.

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
If there is nothing wrong with your setup, I think gears would help a good deal. If you had some mph from the track, it would be easier to see how your car is doing hp wise. With gears, you would get into the powerband of the blower alot faster and the car would feel much livelier. I had 2.73s from the factory. I could not take them for too long and 3.73s were my first mod. I remember that with 2.73s, in 2nd gear, the car would bog out of a sharp corner. I found that incredible: a v8 bogging in 2nd?! Even without the blower, the 3.73s made the car feel way more responsive. With your setup, the car should really pull hard once you hit 3K. Also, if you keep your foot on the floor, you should see the same boost in all the gears. That should be related to RPM. I see 10psi in 1-4 (doubt it could redline 5th-that would be like 180mph).
Bottom line, gears first. I still have stock exhaust and Hpipe-I am sure changing that would yield some hp but I don't think that is the ingredient you are looking for. Heads are great but again, plenty o power to be had with a blower without em.
Erich

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
If my car...I would add 3.73's first. It won't add power, but will feel like you did. Then I would add the 99 heads and other stuff the 99's have. Last I would add a little better exhaust, which could be as littlle as a hi flow X or H with cats, or catless as you prefer. Your stock catback is probably fine. I believe the exhaust change will have by far the least effect. After all stock Bullets and GT's have 2 1/4" pipes, cats, manifolds, etc, and they make good power. I still make my power (550 RW) thru cats.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Dude.....you gotta do longtubes period. If you have PI heads, they won't be at their fullest potential because they won't flow well through the stock manifold. LONGTUBES will gain you over 20 rwhp if you are supercharged and about 15 rwhp if not. Don't even worry about a catback.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I agree with the gears guys. The gears will get you up into the rpm range where your blower is going to start to work very quickly.

As far as the heads go, when you add a blower or turbo to the 96-98 heads, they generally produce good results. Example: Joey's 96 GT from Jade Performance. Stock block and heads with a TDC turbo put the car into the 11.3's. So, you can live with the heads.

The biggest gain for the buck is going to be getting yourself some gears and I'd recommend the 3:73s with your blower.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I do not think that I could get 11's out of the car. Not sure if I would go with 3.73 gears maybe 3.55. Now what about long tubes. I am hearing worth the money/ they are a waste of money. Any ways thanks for the advise and help.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I say it's
1-heads
2-exhaust

It's close though. With FR heads you'd get ~40-50 HP. An exhaust change won't give you that much HP. Long tubes, X's and catback will give ~30 HP.

Don't flame me if my numbers seem messed up to you. I read up on what mods give for HP. I have a 98 GT so I have to.
:p
hehe

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok thanks I may just do the headers or the gear not both, The heads a still a little in the future (do not want to spend lots of $$ at this point).

·
Registered
263 Posts
Well, the heads really are what holds the 96-98 2v back in general. With the stock heads you'll make around 300 rwhp with a s/c and the usual add ons. With the 99+ heads, you're looking at over 400 rwhp. They make a big difference.

If you don't want to invest a lot of money right now, however, I say go for gears and a new x or h pipe. The stock catback is fine. Longtubes will give some nice gains, but I don't know how much with hp with 6 factory cats still on there! Plus, they're expensive (and the install will be too). Gears will make your car feel much quicker because they'll get you into the power band. They're about $450 installed. The x or h will aslo be good for about 15-20 hp on a s/c car. That's another $300-$450. Do the install yourself.

I saw before and after dyno pulls of a supercharged roush stage III with a bassani cat x. The result was 20 rwhp and 20 rwtq peak to peak, with gains all the way across the board. I bought mine the same day ;)

Good Luck.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts