Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys... I'm just wrapping up my T56 conversion which I bought second hand. The crossmember that the guy gave me is one of the offset pieces, but it's "flat." so I don't see how exhaust can possibly work...

I was thinking of buying the $$$ expensive HPM crossmember off eBay but I've read that it's solidly mounted, aka no bushings. That sort of harshness is something I'm thoroughly trying to avoid in a car with solid suspension bushings throughout.

This is the HPM:

Alternatively, I was considering grinding off the stock crossmember brackets and rewelding them rearward as necessary.

Any thoughts guys?

This is the crossmember that I have:

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
same problem I got and I have a 1" set back. I made a temporary one out of 1" square stock and 1" steel tubing for mock up. If you search google you can find the bracket dimension blueprints so that you can fab up new brackets and weld them up, the other option is what you stated, cut and reweld. I think that HPM unit is quap too, too much load on the crossmember like that. I have the dimensions printed out somewhere, someone actually autocad'd it and posted it on a site. Pretty specific too. I will pm you if I find them, the web address should be on it too.
ALex

·
Registered
7,198 Posts
I used a stock one with a firebird/camaro mount. I just had to fab up my own mounts to the chassis and weld them in.

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey guys, a few quick shots of our crossmember tabs. My friend Matt and I used cardboard mockup pieces as our templates, then plasma cut everything from a piece of 3/16" steel plate. We metal finished all the pieces with a flapper disc (so useful) and drilled the holes with a Harbor Freight unibit (same drill bits that cut through my rear subframe for the panhard bar install ... absolutely incredible drill bits and only ~$15 !!!). Then, we welded everything up and sprayed everything with a few coats of semi-gloss black to protect them from the elements.

The driver's side, tabs are moulded to the floor, and welded to both the stock subframe and the subframe connector:

What the welds look like from inside the cabin:

The passenger side:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts