Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What heads flow the most at 500ish lift. With the smallest runner cc. I haven't been on here in a long time. This is for a 5.0

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
At a 4.9" port length , 250cfm at 500 lift that is 291feet per second air speed. Not bad.

But I just did these. 241 cfm
But 316fps at 500 lift. 146.5cc Gt40ps. 4.9" long runner Numbers are legit .even checked in pipemax. And checked air speed on bench
316 fps maybe tic to fast.
310fps maybe max power. Regardless of cfm.
Trickflow shorter runner I believe and bigger so its slower airspeed

Maybe tmoss knows. I check his web page out few weeks ago. I usually port LS stuff. Havnt been into a 5.0 in years. This is for my kid. I can get more cfm. But I am concerned on intake flow potential and
Airspeed. Seems alot 5.0 heads are big. I only took out 7cc or so. But I know where to take it ! and has 1.94 valve. Will be dynoed.

Attachments

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This thing put together on tight budget and science. Everyday car. Used Bcam cause it cheap. Installed at 107. Was 4 off.
Not best choice. But was cheap
Used 1.72 motorsport rockers .
Trickflow intake. Have to flow intake yet. 9.7 comp .039 sq.
Has bullet mufflers and bbk shortys. Prom 75, used.
Bbk 75 tb used. Any guess on power.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh. 5 speed 4:10s already in it

·
Premium Member
2,526 Posts
This thing put together on tight budget and science. Used Bcam cause it cheap.
This is an Oxymoron, using science and a B cam. Lol

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
I'd estimate it will be around 330 hp at the crank at about 6000 with GT40/GT40P heads. Margin of error +/- 10 hp. But maybe more depending on the head you choose. What heads are you going to run?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Gt40p 240cfm 310-316fps.
Put that in into perspective stock gt40p on my bench 195cfm and 260 or 270fps. Have to look at my notes on airspeed on stockers. But it typically a stock head is about those speeds. Spent big time trying all sorts of back cuts on vavle and top cuts on vj. So I say I will make way more than 330 at the crank.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
In my sig 20 years ago i had afr 165s. Back then they where 235cfm I believe. So super slow airspeed. but at the time was the thing to buy. times have changed.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just look at the hot rod head test years ago. Smallest runner made best power. Even with a bcam. Even tho all heads about same flow curve. . Can't compare the tfs cause of its valve angle .its the same in the LS world. Or any engine. To big a port looses airspeed and hp even with better valve angles. Any.port can flow alot of air if you can make it turn. Faster it is the harder it is to turn. You can have to much speed. After flowing some of these heads i think there are gains here. I am just playing on my own stuff while on lock down. Not a sales pitch.

·
Registered
10,860 Posts
Any.port can flow alot of air if you can make it turn. Faster it is the harder it is to turn. You can have to much speed. After flowing some of these heads i think there are gains here. I am just playing on my own stuff while on lock down. Not a sales pitch.
" Any port can flow a lot of air if you can make it turn" (efficiently). This may run counter to what intake porters today think but we have done some experiments within reason with something I got from NASA and when you need to turn high velocity air it might like a little more space in the transition on the short side. Head porters have done this in the bowl entrance for years but it is applicable to intakes with bends like the #1 & #5 in 5.0 intakes as well. If you want a stock looking intake you are limited to the casting but there are still areas that will respond well when you push the casting limit and possibly do some filling on the long side - if you have air probes it will tell you what you need to know. This article says a 40% reduction in restriction. If you can get even 5-10% on those front runners by modifying dimensions on your short side (note the basic shape you see in the pic) you've done a LOT for flow balance without hurting air speed. That's 13-25 cfm for an intake flowing 250 cfm.

Attachments

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I well aware tom. Thanks for replying. I just saying all the heads seem big, runner wise for a 302.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
When I mean big. I mean the big ones don't have enough cfm to pick up the speed

·
Registered
10,860 Posts
You were clear about your desire for air speed from the first post. 240 cfm and the air speed is great. It would be nice to see the flow numbers/curve. I imagine it has good area under the curve. A port that has a lot of "area under the curve" tends to be more lenient in regards to port volume. It is more "active" and less "lazy. The area or volume needed in the head is dependent on common things like bore, stroke, rod length, and RPM, but is also sensitive to the intake.

You did not mention what intake you will be using.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
200 128
300 176
400 204
500 236.
That intake. 146.5cc

Was better. But I hurt it. I will get it back.
.seems there something going on in chamber stopping flow and loads the short side up . more. Maybe why alot sbf ford heads around 240cfm when there smaller runner? Just a observation.

·
Registered
10,860 Posts
Trick Flow port is shorter by .300". Since I had the Corona time, I put the data you gave (but I guessed at .600" since you didn't list but I'm sure it's close enough to not affect big picture) and the data I have from stock P heads and made the two curves.......Improvements everywhere removing 7cc

Attachments

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I did it's called a gt40p. I wouldnt learn anything if I just slapped them on. In a different life, i use to develop and dyno single cylinder engines.

I found something and flow improved everywhere .
400 lift is little noisy so it may flow more at 400 once sorted.
500 ligtvit stalls now . But with no valve in 247cfm. Seems the biggest restriction is the air trying to get around the valve.
Time to take some material out

Attachments

1 - 20 of 29 Posts