Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got a g-force straight cut tranny with 373 rear gears. currently im supercharged and is wondering what everybody is running on their turbo stick setup. i'm building a dart 408 with afr 225 and putting a bw s480 turbo in. i know i won't be as consistent or fast if i had a auto, but i like challenges and banging gears.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Depends how high you you want to turn that monster.Should be a fun ride!!
I was running 3.73s with my stock block turbo on 28s. Maybe try them out first?

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
prob shift it 7000+. i have another question. i wanna run a 4 barrel efi carb w/ hat. i have a super vic efi intake. should i go with the 4150 or 4500 tb w/ 4150 adapter. do i need to go with the bigger tb even though it will be turbo forcing it or will the 4150 work. i also got a buddy with an auto setup who wants to trade me for his.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
A lot less power, but we've tried 3.08 3.55 and 3.73 in our turbo stick cars.

One car is a 351 Gt40 top end 14psi with a tko 600, it had 3.08s in it, switched to a 3.55 and the car picked up tremendously.

We roll raced a turbo bmw before and after the gear swap, had him by maybe 1 car with the 3.08 gears.... 3.55 we yanked him by 3+.
No changes other than that to either car.

My car is a stockish 302 with 3.73s and 8psi from a 70mm, it spools like a freak but i have trouble keeping it planted with 275 street tires. My buddy with the windsor car is contemplating trying 3.73s as well.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i guess i'll just have to just try it out. but i'm still on the fence either 4150 tb or the elbow. plus i'm worried about clearance going to a taller motor with the 4 barrel

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
All depends on your setup. The longer gears are supposed to help with the lower gears and spooling.

It makes sense that it would be slower from a roll if you have some high rpm setup

·
Registered
90 Posts
I started with 3.73's in my turbo car and decided to try 3.27's and have not looked back. Really like the gear, with my T5-Z I can cruise at 65mph at under 2000rpm and still get more than enough spool in 1st and 2nd gear to blow the tires off.:evilgrin:

Combo is a stock block 302, trick flow street top end, and a hellion kit with a turbonetics T66 turbo, running AEM EMS for tuning.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I think it depends on your power band...I went to 3.27s from 3.73s and honestly, with my powerband they arent anything special and the cars probably slower than when I had the 3.73s.

My powerband sucks currently and is more like a centri blower power curve than a turbo curve so thats probably my real issue.

I dont have that broad torque curve to pull me through the rpm, hopefully the stock cams change that though.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Your auto, he's talking stick car, so you'd need a bit more gear

·
Registered
114 Posts
My Gforce T5 grenaded 3rd gear with a fairly mild twin-turbo 331. I don't think yours will hold up long with the kind of power you'll be making.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
hows that go...a fairly mild twin turbo 331...

Sent from my rooted, rommed Galaxy Nexus....

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
what kind of g force do u have straight cut gears or helical.. i know they all are rated at 600 but maybe the straights cut might be a lil stronger. i'm just hoping for the best and ur prob right thomaswpt . lol

·
Registered
7,628 Posts
that car's going to make sick power so i'd say 331s/327s or possibly 308s. i swapped from 373s to 331s and the only regret is that i should have done it sooner. my 550 tune with 331s now feels like my 650 tune did with 373s.

also, if i was you i'd sell that Gforce T5 before anything brakes cause it will NOT survive the torque of this turbo setup. i was in similar boat and sold by astro super T5, and got a viper spec T56.

pk

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
what tranny would u recommend as a manual also a auto. my buddy has a c4 who wants to trade me, but am skepital if it can handle the power. this car is prob gonna be a 50/50 street strip car. i do like to cruise it and bang gears and don't wanna trade him b/c i think my setup is worth more but that's just me.idk if it is lol. str8 cut dog ringed w/ g force case and everything else quicktime bell housing and hydraulic clutch.

·
Registered
7,628 Posts
viper or mangnum spec T56 as the only way to go.

not an auto guy so can't comment on it.

pk

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I've watched stock t-5s handle 500hp.... don't bang the gears. mine took a blower setup making 380ish for a year, no problems... and now is holding my turbo motor making probably 400+.

Just be mindful of that t-5 when you're playing.

Power shifting, clutch dumps, etc. The power isn't what kills them, it's the shock... Just my .02

·
Registered
628 Posts
Have 4:10s with a 67mm on a 331. Blows the tires off 1st - 4th. Only had them because I originally planned s/c instead of turbo. Going to a 3.55 soon

1 - 20 of 29 Posts